Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hold Your Horses

601.  "Hold Your Horses"               September 6, 2012
2 Peter 3-Part 4
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation...  2Peter 3:15a 

LET IT GLOW

Hold your horses. I often heard that phrase when I was growing up. It meant someone was saying to be patient, wait. We had a horse named Topsy when I was a preschooler. That horse had a mind of her own. If we were riding her on the dirt road and a truck came by, my brother or sister had to pull back on the reins so the horse wouldn't run off in her own direction. She was spooked easily, so we would calmly talk to her, reassuring her everything was all right. If she did run in fear, chances were we riders would fall off because she'd take us through the brush along side the road or jump a ditch or fence.
Patience, waiting-it's a hard thing to have or do. At least for me it is. Most of the time, instead of holding my horses, I need to hold my tongue. How about you?

In verse 15, Peter is refering to the fact that just because Jesus has not returned to earth to rule yet doesn't mean He we should get discouraged, loose faith, and forget about it. Peter does not want his readers to follow the false teachers in believing that it is not going to happen. After all, the long God delays it, the more people can be saved. He has a plan and is working His plan. In Romans 2:4b, Paul says the goodness of God leads to repentance.

Longsuffering means patience, forbearance. I am very glad that God is patient in waiting for Christ's Second Coming. I have some loved ones that are not saved yet.

LET IT GROW

What else does Peter tell us?
  • He refers to Paul and his writings to these believers. Paul wrote with the wisdom that God gave him.
  • Paul wrote warning them of false teachers.
  • Paul's letters were distorted by the ignorant and unstable false teachers.
  • Be on guard, less they be persuaded and be led astray from Jesus.
  • Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to whom be glory.
Am I in the Word of God so I recognize false teaching? Is my faith and doctrine grounded so I will stand fast in the Truth? Do I help others in their Christian maturity?

LET IT GO

Hold my horses. Keep looking for Jesus' return.

Don't let others discouragement cause me to disbelieve.

Keep growing in faith, grace, and knowledge of Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment