Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Walking in the Light

604.  "Walking in the Light"                September 11, 2012
1 John 1-Part 2
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. 1 John 1:5-7


LET IT GLOW

*Please remember those who lost loved one on Sept. 11, 2001 during the World Trade Disaster.

When there is darkness outside, I like to walk in the light. Therefore, before I get out of the car at home, I have my little flashlight that is on my key chain, in my hand and ready to use. Since I have seen several critters in my yard, I like to take precaution. There has been a 'possum, armadillo, skunks, and snakes. I sure don't want to walk up on one of those guys unexpectantly. No telling what they would do to me. My hands are usually full, so I don't think I could run very fast for a get away. Now you know why I like to walk in the light. (Our porch light only works half of the time, anyway.)
John talks about us walking in the light, and that God is light. Let's dig a little deeper. Have a seat and make yourself comfortable, friend.

Verse 5 says God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

According to Thayer's Lexicon, this word light used in this verse, refers to the extremely delicate, subtile, pure, brilliant quality of light that has led to the use of its Greek word as an appellation (title) of God as by nature incorporeal spotless, holy.

In verse 5, darkness, (skotia in Greek), is a metaphor used of ignorance of divine things, and its associated wichedness, and the resultant misery.

"Here are two great symbols suggesting moral purity and evil; John says  literally that there is not even one bit of darkness in God," states Falwell.

God is light-the source of wisdom, knowledge, holiness, and happiness; He has no darkness at all-no ignorancae, no imperfection, no sinfulness, no misery.  (Clarke)

God illuminates others. (Gill)

What light is to the natural eye, God is to the spiritual eye.  (Wesley)

So this is saying to me that God is holy, pure, spotlessly morally pure and has not one ounce of sin or evil in Him. thank You Father that You are approachable through the blood and robe of righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Jesus said that He is the light of the world, in John 8:12.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:5, Paul describes believers as the children of light and day, not night nor darkness.

Do I honor Him as being holy, righteousness, pure, worthy of parise, the only God to be worshipped?

LET IT GROW

If we say we have fellowship with God, then:
  • if we walk (live) in darkness (practicing known and willful sin), we lie, and do not the truth;
  • if we walk in the light, we have fellowship one with another-we who walk in the light have fellowship (eternal life) with God;
  • the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin-His attoining death cleanses us from all sin, makes the darkness into light. (Liberty Bible Commentary)
A genuine Christian walks habitually in the light(turth and holiness), not in darkness (falsehood and sin). Their walk also results in cleansing from sin as the Lord continuallu forgives His own.  (MacArthur)

It all boils down to this-Am I walking in light or darkness? I want to have fellowship with God, don't you?

LET IT GO

Keep confessing my sins and ask for cleansing of my soul with Jesus' blood.

Watch my thoughts, words, and actions, that they be pure.

Praise the God of light, who has no sin.

Parise be to  the Perfect Lamb of God.

Walk in the light and maintain fellowship with God.

Remembering the families of those who died on 9-11.




No comments:

Post a Comment