Monday, September 17, 2012

Growing Up

608.  "Growing Up"            September 17, 2012
1 John 2-Part 3     (Verses 12-14)
I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father. 1 John 2:13 KJV


LET IT GLOW

When I was a child, Dad was my hero, provider, and protecter. Even as an adult, Dad is my hero still. Having gone through some of life's experiences, I am better able to understand why he did things the way he did. I wish I could tell him how much I love him. I don't think I ever did. Our family did not say those words when I was growing up.

In verses 12-14, John is writing about the three stages of spiritual growth in God's family:

1. Little Children have only the basic awareness of God and need to grow. Their sins are forgiven;
    they know the Father; they ssink roots deep in His love and care; they are proud of being His child.

    Little children, in verse 12, is teknia in the Greek, which has more of an emphasis on a child's
    relationship of dependence on a parent.
    Little children, in verse 13, is paidia in the Greek, which has more of an  emphasis on a child's
    immaturity and need for instruction.

2. Young men have not yet the mature experience of knowing God in the Word and through life, but
    know sound doctrine. They are strong against sin and error because they have His Word in them.
    They overcome the wiles of the devil, who makes havoc of children. (Eph. 4:14) Spiritually young
    men know victory. They are on the front line of God's work among His people; are engaged in
    battle with the wicked one; overcome spiritual foes that seek to destroy their spiritual life.

3. Fathers are the most mature, having a deep knowledge of the eternal God. The pinnacle of spiritual
    maturity is to know God in His fullness (Phil 3:10). They have experiential knowledge of Jesus
    Christ.
[Reference: The MacArthur Bible Commentary, Guzik's Bible Commentary]

Can I identify which stage I am in concerning my spiritual maturity? Do I continue to grow in faith and love?

LET IT GROW

Here are some questions to ponder, dear friends:
-Have I asked Jesus to forgive me of my sins?
-Have I trusted Jesus as my Savior?
-Do I overcome the temptations before me?
-Do I overcome the evil one?
-Am I strong in faith in Jesus, trusting Him throughout the day?
-Is my life in God's hands and not mine? Am I serving Him always?

LET IT GO

Grow spiritually by remaining in God's Word, praying, experiencing His grace and mercy.

Thank God for His unconditional and unfailing love.

Share with others how God has been faithful to me.








No comments:

Post a Comment