Thursday, September 27, 2012

Accepting My Assignment

616.  "Accepting My Assignment"
September 27, 2012
1 John 3-Part 5            (verses 13-16)
Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.  1 John 3:16 KJV

LET IT GLOW

I remember a time in elementary school when I had to spend hours working out long division problems. Though I didn't like it at the time, I accepted those assignments. They were good practice for me. It reinforced what I had learned, forcing me to apply the knowledge. It took hours to do only a few problems. I had to follow each step correctly and use my knowledge of multiplication and division facts.
It sounds like we have an assignment here in chapter 3. Let's look closer at it.

Perceive (ginosko in Greek)  means to know. (Strong's Dictionary of The Greek Testament) 

What does John say that I know, as a believer? I know the love of God.
How do I know the love of God? Because He laid down His life for me. Jesus died in my place so my sins would be paid for and I would not have to do it. I still can't get over it-a perfect man/a perfect God would love me so much that He would do this for me!!

John uses the supreme example of sacrificial love here to show what love is ulltimately. The word for (hyper in Greek) shows the vicarious nature of the atonement; Christ died in our place, and suffered the punishment for us. this is made the basis for the obligation of Christian love.  (Liberty Bible Commentary)

How often do I thank Jesus for what He did for me? What gifts-salvation, mercy, grace!

LET IT GROW

What do we know?
  • We have passed from death unto life. (verse 14) Before my new birth (spiritually), I was in spiritual darkness and spiritually dead. Becoming a Christian is a resurrection from death to life.
  • We love the brethren (verse 14). This is a result of the love of Christ being in us.
  • We perceive the love of God because He laid down His life for us. (verse 16) Not only do I know with my mind, but with my spirit and soul also. 
  • He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. (verse 14b) Someone who is characterized by hate has never experienced the new birth. (MacArthur)
  • He that hates his brother is a murderer. (verse 15) Hate is a seed that leads to murder. The attitude is equal to the act.
  • No murderer has eternal life abiding in him. (verse 15) They are children of the devil and not children of God, because God's children have His love in their heart. God's children have eternal life promised them. (John 3:16)
  • We ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. (verse 16b) Since my Savior laid down His life for me, I should be willing to do the same for my brethren. That is love.

What's my assignment in this life?

Rick Warren, in his book The Purpose Driven Life, says:

I was created to serve God.
I was saved to serve God.
I was called to serve God.
I am commanded to serve God.
Service is not optional.
Ephesians 2:10 says: For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

What is holding me back from accepting God's call to serve Him? God will evaluate me on how well I served others at the end of my life on earth. How will I react to what He reveals to me? Will I be happy, sad, embarrassed, regretful, content?

I, for one, have room for imporvement.

LET IT GO

Show God's love is in me by serving others.

Love the brethren.






No comments:

Post a Comment