Thursday, September 20, 2012

Robes

611.  "Robes"                          September 20, 2012
1 John 2-Part 6  (verse 28-29)
If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him. 
1 John 2:29  KJV

If you know he is righteous, you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him. 1 John 2:29 NIV

Since we know that Christ is righteous, we also know that all who do what is right are God's children.  1 John 2:29 New Living Translation

LET IT GLOW

I have an old, thick, light blue robe that I wear only in the wintertime after I have showered. It keeps me covered and warm while I iron my clothes that I am going to wear for the day. I have another robe that I wear, spiritually speaking. It is one that Christ has provided for me-His Robe of Righteousness. You see, I can't purchase a righteous robe on my own because my righteousness is as filthy rags. (Isaiah 64:6) It is a free gift to me, but it cost Christ His very life to provide it.
  

Christ is righteous, which means He is the justifier or who pronounces righteous, but the substantial meaning is holy, that quality by virtue of which he hates and punishes sin. 
Righteousness refers to do righteousness, to live uprightly.  (Thayer's Lexicon)

I have no righteousness on my own, but it is the robe of righteousness of Christ that clothes me so I can be right with God. It is blood stained, I believe, because He shed his blood for me, a sinner.
Friend, are you clothed in this robe?

According to John Gill, Christ is:
  • as righteous as God in His nature and in His works;
  • as a man in His obedience;
  • as a Mediator, in faithfully discharging the work He undertook;
  • the author of an everlasting righteousness;
  • imputed by God;
  • revealed in the Gospel;
  • received by faith.
A life of righteousness shows that we have the life of Christ and proof that we have been born again.
(People's New Testament)

John is not talking about a person who performs one or two righteous acts, but about a person whose conduct can be characterized as righteousness. Of such a person it may be said that he is born (gennao), or rather "has been truly born of God.  (Liberty Bible Commentary)

Is there enough proof that I am a Christian to convict me of such? How about you?

LET IT GROW

In verse 28, John tells us to:
  • remain in fellowship with Christ;
  • be full of courage;
  • do not shrink back from him in shame;
  • do what is right since I am God's child.
Am I looking for Jesus' Second Coming with joyous confidence?

LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of so I can live uprightly?

Thank You, Jesus, for Your Robe of Righteousness provided for me as a gift.

Have courage, don't shrink back, do what's right, stay in fellowship with my Savior.






No comments:

Post a Comment