Friday, September 14, 2012

High Heels

607.  "High Heels"               September 14, 2012
1 John 2-Part 2      (verses 9-11)
Anyone who loves another brother or sister is living in the light and does not cause others to stumble.   1 John 2:10 NLT

LET IT GLOW

I have stumbled over a crack in the sidewalk, stepping upon the sidewalk, going down stairs. You name it and I have stumbled from it. Actually, I have only fallen a few times. I don't think I was wearing heels at the time, though. Anyway, I decided, no more high heels for me. In fact, it has been several years now since I have worn them. So it's flat shoes for me and no more, well few stumbling. Oh, I miss those pretty, white heels with a bow and of course my bright red heels. Then there are the green ones, brown ones, black ones, along with the navy blue ones. Girlfriends, it is not worth taking a chance of falling flat on my face and breaking a bone or my pride. So I threw them all out. No more stumbling-block for me, hopefully. come to think of it, do I cause others to sumble, even stumble into sin? That is one of the things John mentions today.

What is the fulfillment of the law?
Love is the fulfillment of the law. Jesus told us in Matthew 22:34-40 to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind, then to love our neighbor as ourself. In John 13:34 and John 15:12 and 17, Jesus gave us a new commandment-love one another as I have loved you, which is a sacrificial love.

In Romans 13:8 Paul tells us Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

James 2:8 states If ye fulfill the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do will.

The person whose life is characterized by love and light is a true believer.  (Falwell)

True enlightenment is to love. God's light is the light of love, so to walk in light is to walk in love.  (MacArthur)

God's Word Translation says in verse 10: Those who love other believers live in light. Nothing will destroy the faith of those who live in the light.

The second part of our key verse says there is none occasion of stumbling in him. 

Stumbling means to put a stumbling-block in one's way, to do that by which another is led to sin. (The Greek word John uses is skandalon, for which we get our English word scandal.)

Love prevents him from giving offense to his neighbor and receiving any. (Clarke)
What lies in his way he shuns and avoids occassion of stumbling and falling. (Gill)
Romans 13:9, 1 Corinthians 13:4, Psalm 119:165

Am I loving all believers as Jesus does? How careful am I to not cause another to stumble into sin?

LET IT GROW

Let's look at verses 9 and 11, where John talks about the one who hates his Christian brother or sister:
  • they are still living in darkness;
  • they are still walking in darkness;
  • they don't know the way to go, having been blinded by the darkness.
Am I helping the believers who have a problem with another to live and walk in the Light instead of darkness? do I take time to show them the way to go? the way to forgive and love?

LET IT GO

Love others period.

Don't hate, but love.

Watch what I wear, say, and do so I don't cause a brother or sister to stumble into sin.

Help those who are walking in dark sin to find the Light, Jesus.

Show others how to live pleasing God.










No comments:

Post a Comment