Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Resisting Cute Little Pink Things

609.  "Resisting Cute Little Pink Things"          
September 18, 2012
1 John 2-Part 4      (Verses 15-17)
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. and the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.  1 John 2:15-17 KJV


LET IT GLOW

I have been painting my office/playroom in pink (trim only). Now let me tell you, I am enjoying changing my decor from green to pink. Therefore, when I am in a store, pink things draw my attention. I can't afford to change everything in the room to be changed to pink, so I am making a mental list of what I can afford, a little at a time. I had to " nip it in the bud" as Barney Fife said, before it got out of hand. Rather before my money left my hand. So I realize my present temptations are pink things. What can I do to resist buying every cute little pink thing I see? I need help, John.


So far in our study of 1 John, we have talked about walking in the Light, sin, with the Advocate, and under commandment. Already we learned that we are to love our brethren, Christian brothers and sisters. Today, we are continuing to discuss walking in love.

He that does the will of God abideth forever. I want to abide forever, don't you? What does it mean?

Abideth refers to love towards God. (Thayer's Lexicon)

But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever, says New Living Translation of verse 17b.

If I am interested enough in finding out what the will of God for my life is, then I surely love God and want to please Him with my life.

God's will is permanent and unchangeable. Those who follow God's will abide as His people forever. While God offers eternal life to His children, the present age is doomed. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

How much wiser to invest our lives into that which cannot be lost: doing the will of God.
We are in contact with three eternal things:
1. the Holy Spirit of God
2. the people around us
3. eternal words-the Bible.
Time, attention, expense put into those things pays eternal rewards.  (David Guzik)

Where am I spending my time, money, and attention? Am I loving God with all my heart, soul, and mind?

LET IT GROW

If I love the world (worldly affairs), more than God, more than doing His will, then:
  • the love of the Father is not in me;
  • lust of the flesh prevails in me;
  • lust of the eyes conquers me;
  • I am prideful.
When Satan tempted Eve, found in Genesis 3, KJV, it was in these three ways:
1. Lust of the flesh-the forbidden fruit was good for food;
2. Lust of the eyes-it was plesant to look at;
3. boastful pride of life-knowing good and evil, she would be as gods/make her wise.

I don't know which one of the temptations or perhaps all of them cinched it, but verse 6 says she took the fruit and ate it.

Let's consider Satan's temptations of Jesus in the wilderness. Keep in mind, He had been fasting for 40 days. It's found in Luke 4.
1. Lust of the flesh-tempted to turn the stone into bread;
2. Lust of the eyes-Satan would give Jesus the world if only He would worship Satan;
3. Pride of life-throw Himself down from the pinnacle of the temple, angels would protect Jesus.
If you will notice, after all three temptations, Jesus refutted Satan using Scriptures.

This tells me, friends, the way for us to get ride of the Devil-use Scripture. James 4:7 says, Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Am I resisting  the forbidden fruit, sweets, drinks, overindulgance?
Am I careful what my eyes see and want-magazines, movies, tv, revealing clothing, gagets, home, cars, status?
Am I humble or prideful-material things, power, decisions, positions, impressing others with my outward appearances?
Am I persuaded to spend my time, attention, and money on the things of this world instead of the things of God?

Where is my weakest resistance?

Why are the three sinful? They aren't of God. Instead of being flesh satisfied, be spirit satisfied; instead of outward beauty, develop an inner beauty; replace pride with humility. (Guzik)

The things in the world, its profits, pleasures, and honors are strong allurements. (Clarke)

It is impossible to love the world to coexist with love to God, as it is impossible for light and darkness to coexist.  (Vincent's Word Studiles)

Since I am a sojourner, pilgrim, or stranger here, this is not my dwelling place, rest. Heaven is.

Don't pamper the appetite, please the eye, nor pormote pride in living. (Barnes' Notes)

Wow! Do I have homework today!

LET IT GO

Drop those fleshly items that want to take me down a sinful road.

Close my eyes to the gagets that tempt me to get in financial bondage.

Fall on my face in repentance of pride.

Turn to Jesus, His Word, and His Spirit for strength to resist those temptations to sin.

Make sure I don't put a stumbling block in my brothers and sisters' way.




No comments:

Post a Comment