Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Setting the Table

Philemon
Who (Onesimus) formerly was useless to you, but now is useful both to you and to me.
Verse 11 NAS 

LET IT GLOW

When I was growing up, holiday meals were a big deal in our family. Mom spent the day before preparing pies and cakes. Then on that day, she got up early and began making those scrumptuously huge homemade rolls, put a turkey or a ham in the oven, and continued praparing the rest of the dinner. It wasn't just two vegetables, either. They were fresh, from her freezer, or her canned ones from her pantry. The table was covered. How I mess those days.
Now my job was to set the table with our china, silver, and glassware. Then I would ususally make a green salad, cutting up all the veggies.
Mom always had a wonderful meal on the table, but she made her guests feel welcome, too. Many times we would have aunts and uncles and cousins join us. Looking back, that's when and where I learned about being  a servant, observing Mom.

Let me update any new visitors. Paul sent Philemon's runaway slave, Onesimus, back to him. Onesimus had stolen some money from Philemon and high tailed it to Rome to hide. Now Paul was imprisoned in Rome, but the providence of God was at work. Wouldn't you know it, the two got together and Onesismus came to faith in Christ. What a missionary that Paul was!

Warren Wiersbe said there were estimated to be 60 million slaves in the Roman Empire. An average slave sold for 500 denarii, a day's wage, while an educated and skilled slave sold as high as 50,000 denarii. A master could free a slave or the slave could buy his freedom if he could. (Acts 22:28) A runaway slave would be put on on the "wanted" list. Any free citizen could return the slave to his owner. The slave was an expensive and useful piece of personal property.

Paul doesn't condone nor condemn the use of slaves. In his letter to the Colossians, He emphasized our service is to the Lord, not just mankind. (chapter 3) Now that Onesimus bacame a believer, Paul wanted Philemon to treat him as a brother.

A servant is one who gives himself up wholly to another's will. They are to do what their master wishes.
Jesus came as a servant, doing what His Father wanted Him to do. He also served the disciples in the upper room by washing their feet. He picked up a towel.
One day in heaven,  Jesus will set the table for us and bid us to "Come and dine."


LET IT GROW

I want to be a servant of Jesus. He paid my debt, purchasing my salvation so it would be free to me. Such love He showed me. How do I return love to HIm? By serving others.
As His servant I want to please Him. But how?

In Luke 9:23, he tells us how: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

First, I must deny myself- my preferences, my plans, my will. I have to say "no" to self and "yes" to what and when Jesus leads.
Second, I must take up my cross daily-choose Christ instead of my way.
Third, I must follow Jesus. No stipulations nor requirements are added, are they? More than believing Him, I obey Him. I die to something, self, daily.

As this New Year is speeding on in time, am I taking time to serve the Lord? Do I give my time to someone who needs it? Do I do what my husband wants to do instead of what I want to do? Am I teaching and showing the next generation self-denial, cross-bearing, and following Jesus?


LET IT GO

Let go of pride, pick up a towel, and serve.

Be self-denying, cross-bearing, and follow Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment