Monday, January 23, 2012

I Know How You Feel

Hebrews 4-Part 3
Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, tht wwe may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.   Hebrews 4:14-16


LET IT GLOW

"I know how you feel." Haven't we all thought or said that at one time or another to someone? I say it less nowadays. I realize that I may not know just how someone feels, especially if I have never walked a mile in their moccasins. Oh, I've lived long enough to have experienced many things, but there are still some that I have yet to experience. Anyway, does it really help someone when I say it? Maybe I should say, "I'm sorry  you're going through this." I need to remember to let them talk, don't bog them down with my experiences and feelings. That isn't why I would be talking to them in the first place.

Friends, there is someone who knows how we feel, who understands what we are going through. His name is Jesus. Verse 14 tells us that He is a Great High Priest. No one else can, could, nor does assume that title. Do I reach out to HIm in my time of need?

What did the high priest do in the Old Testament? He was the only man who could enter the Holy of Holies once a year, on the Day of Atonement, who was allowed to pass through the earthly veil in order to gain access to the mercy seat (Lev.16). This was the inner most part of the Temple, where only one person was allowed to be or see. This is where the high priest made the sacrifice for his sins and the sins of his people.

Shepherd's Notes explains:
 Sprinkling the blood of the sin offering seven times with his finger before and on the Mercy Seat, he symbolically covered the sins of the people from the eyes of the Lord. Now Jesus, our great High Priest, has passed, once for all, not through the inner curtain of the tabernacle made with human hands, but through the heavens (verse 14) to God Himself to make atonement for all our sins. Jesus has entered the heavens on our behalf.

We could not meet the standard that God requires for the forgiveness of sins, but Jesus did it for us.

Verse 15 in the NLT says, This High Priest of our understands our weaknesses, for he faced all the same testings we do, yet he did not sin.

"He is sympathetic with our weaknesses. Although he is God's Son, when Jesus took on human flesh, He came to know firsthand what it was to live as a human being in a fallen world. He also came to know what it is like to be tempted. In every case He resisted the temptation and was completely without sin," says Shepherd's Notes. 

Dear ones, Jesus is more than just a story or a picture. This is truth. He understands what we go through when we are tempted because He was tempted also.

Jesus can sympathize with our weaknesses in every way. The Lord did not share only partially in our weaknesses, but fully. Remember, He was man and God. There's not an emotion with which I wrestle that Christ has not first felt its sting. He Himself has experienced these very things. Jesus was tempted, but didn't sin, so He understands what we're going through and He interceeds for us to the Father.


LET IT GROW

We are to hold fast our profession, acording to verse 14. NLT says Let us hold firmly to what we believe.
The word profession, homologia in Greek, involves both the inward confession of the heart and the outward profession before men. (Falwell quoted Hughes)

Do I have a firm hold on what I believe, or is it like holding a dishrag in my hand?

Here the writer is urging believers to cling tenaciously to their confession of Christ. Cling now and keep on clinging. (A.T.Robertson )

Another thing I saw in these verses, in verse 16, I can go boldly to the throne of grace. This is possible only because of my High Priest, Jesus my Intercessor, that I am allowed to enter the throne room of Holy, Almighty God. Most people of authority, kings, presidents, rulers are not accessible for the ordinary person to talk to, but our King and Ruler of everything is. I don't see myself as coming in boldly, but humbly, submitting on my bended knees, clothed with the blood stained robe of Jesus' righteousness, before the throne of grace, making requests. Do I ever get enough of mercy and grace? No, I'm always in need of both.
I am so happy to find this grace to help me in my time of need. It flows from His throne, ya'll. Praise the Lord! Thank You Jesus!

On the other hand, am I not expected to show this same grace and mercy to others? Do I?


LET IT GO

Cling to Christ.

Be thankful for God's grace and mercy.

Keep praying for others.

Give grace and mercy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment