Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Battle of Wills

Hebrews 5-Part 2
During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him and was designated by God to be high priest in the order of Melchiszedek.   Hebrews 5:7-10 NIV


LET IT GLOW

Sometimes I find it hard to do the will of another when I want to do my own will my own way. That's when the flesh gets in the way-selfishness, self-centeredness. I find it hard to go to ball games with my husband when I'd rather do something else or stay at home; to go shop for something he wants to buy instead of what I want to buy; to cook when I want to eat out and he's too tired to go. I used to think that being a servant meant cooking and serving the meals, cleaning the house, and doing the laundry, but now that I know it is more than that.

A servant is one who gives himself up wholly to another's will.  Isn't that what Jesus did in the Garden of Gethsemane? He agonized with the battle of wills-His will and His Father's will. Luke wrote about it in Luke 22:41-44. Jesus was asking that God the Father might take this cup of death on the cross away. This is one prayer that God did not answer. Why? It was on behalf of His people like you and me; it was because He loved us so much, even though we are sinners and sin daily against Him and His Word. God wanted to give us the free gift of salvation. Jesus had to get to that point where He said, "Nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. Think of the millions who have been saved because of this one decision to do another's will.

Where does that leave me? I want to do God's will, even if it is hard.

Looking at our key verses, Jesus knew God could rescue Him from the trials, beatings, nails on the cross, since He is all-powerful. For thirty years Jesus had offered up prayers and petitions and they were answered yes, but not this time.
More likely, in harmony with the statements of Psalm 22, He answered by reaffirming the promise of the Resurrection. (Bruce)
He only hung on the cross for three hours, while He has been in heaven, eternity, for more than two thousand years. Which is better? Isn't it better to suffer for a short while and enjoy the blessings of God for eternity?

Loud cries and tears, strong crying and tears (KJV), tells me of the agony of the battle of wills.
Luke 22:44 says, And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

The Father said no, despite the unfathomable love He had for His Son, because He knew He could not spare His Son and save a world. Likewise, the Lord cannot always spare you and your family and complete His redemptive work in those around you. Will you intercede with the Father so deeply and intimately that even in the midst of your tears you are able to say, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done?" (Blackaby)

Now that is agonizing in prayer to the nth degree. Do I agonize in prayer for others? Do I agonize in prayer surrendering my will to God's will?


LET IT GROW

Verse 7 says Jesus was heard because of his reverent submission and he learned obedience from what he suffered.

In her devotional book, Diamonds in the Dust, Joni Eareckson Tada states: 
Although Jesus wept and cried loudly, wrestled and struggled, He obeyed. In fact, He learned obedience from what He suffered. What is important to note is that our Lord submitted Himself to the school of obedience. When we become Christians, God enrolls us in the same school. That's why obedience must be learned. If Jesus was schooled in obedience from what He suffered, shall the servant be greater than his Master?
Avoid all appearances of evil. Let no unwholesome word come out of your mouth. Count others better than yourself. Forgive seventy times seven. Don't let the sun set on your anger. In everything give thanks.

Blackabys' devotional book, Experiencing God Day-By-Day, says:
We all endure suffering to some degree, but the good news is that through it we can become like Jesus. Are you willing to pay whatecrr price is necessary in order to become like Christ? There are some things that God can build into your life only through suffering. Don't resent the suffering God allows in your life. Don't make all your decisions and invest everything you have into avoiding hardship. God did not spare His own son. How can we expect Him to spare us? Learn obedience even when it hurts!

Will it take suffering in order for me to learn obedience? Am I following Jesus on the right road for my life? Do I give myself up wholly to God's will?
Friends, if you have been learning obedience through suffering, God may choose to make you a source of salvation to others even as He did with His Son.
We all need to accept things exactly as they are and search for God's way in the middle of our circumstances.
Trust is like a staff you can lean on, as you journey uphill with Jesus. ((Sarah Young)


LET IT GO

Let go of my will and follow His will in perfect obedience.

Pray that my sufferings, handled the right way, will bring salvation to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment