Thursday, January 12, 2012

How do I Resist the Temptation of Fattening Foods?

Hebrews2-Part 3
Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.   Hebrews 2:18 NLT

Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
Hebrews 2:18 NIV

LET IT GLOW

I could have been like Bugs Bunny and asked, "What's up doc?" yesterday as I went for my 3 month check-up. I didn't because his answer would have been "Your weight." I didn't want to hear about it, so I kept quiet. Oh my, the scales kept climbing when I stepped on them. I had no idea that I had gained SIX pounds in three months.  At this rate, I will regain all those twenty lost pounds in a year's time. Ugh! No way! Do something, Linda!
 Confession time: During the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, I ate anything and everything I wanted. Okay, it's my own fault and no one elses. But I love pumpkin pie, pecan pie, white covered pretzels, candies of any sort but chocolate, and yeast bread. I told myself that I have to stop this upward climb and make it decend, but I don't think I my body and brain were listening at the time. What did I do? Two hours after the reality, I ate two pieces of pizza. I justified it in resisting the yummy cinnamon rolls. See? I need help!
What am I going to do? I listened to Lysa TerKeurst's motivational webcast the other night. Did I heed her great advice? No.  Obviously, I can't do this on my own. I need help. Where can I get help with weight loss and keeping it off? Because of medications I take, I can't take diet pills. I can't afford those expensive diet plans nor their food. Wait. That's not the right question, anyway . How do I resist the temptation of fattening foods? How do I say no and not eat it? Now those are the right questions.
Are you with me, girlfriend? Apparently I am not alone, since Lysa had over 6,000 tune into her webcast. (I suggest reading "Made to Crave" by Lysa and her new book which gives us a plan.) Keep in mind that I am by no means an expert about all of this.
So as I read our key scripture, searching, I read, "Jesus suffered when He was tempted?" I knew He was tempted in all ways and manners as we are, but I did not realize that he suffered during it. Did you? Does that mean that as a Jew, he was tempted to eat lucious fatty ham (pork), filled with cholesterol, but didn't do it?
Suffered, says Thayer's Lexicon, means in a bad sense, "of misfortunes, to suffer, to undergo evils, to be afflicted."
Is my conclusion corect that Jesus endured a hardship, pain, while he endured the temptation of food, bread, yet didn't sin? It wasn't a picnic out in the wilderness. That means it wasn't easy for Him, right? Just like it isn't easy for me to say no, walk away, or refuse to put into my mouth something that is not good for my body. This sheds a new light on the subject for me. How about you?

We have all heard and read that Jesus was tempted.  I wonder how and who tempted Jesus? Here's what I found out:
  • Jesus was tempted for 40 days in the wilderness, alone, by Satan.( Matthew 4 tells us about it.) He tempted Jesus to turn the stones into bread, since He had not eaten(fasted) during that time and was hungry. This was the lust of the flesh. What did Jesus say when He was tempted? Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. Hey gals, Jesus used God's word to combat the temptation. 
  • Jesus was tempted by the Sadducees in Matthew 15:1.
  • Jesus was tempted by the Pharisees in Matthew 19:3, 22:18, 35-36; Mark 8:11, 10:2.
  • Jesus was tempted by others in Luke 11:16, 20:23; John 8:6.
I understand, Jesus was God and all powerful, but Hebrews 4:15 says He was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.  (KJV)
NLT says it this way, ... for He faced all the same testings we do, yet he did not sin.

I know, that was Jesus and I am me, you are you, and we are not perfect, but have a sin nature to contend with. So why are we tempted to sin?

The answer is found in James 1:14 Then every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 
NLT says in verses 14-15, Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death.

Ahha. It's my lust that is the problem. I lust after something-pie, bread, junk food.
 What is lust?
Webster's Dictionary defines lust as an intense longing for possession or enjoyment; passionate or lewd desire.
I know my weaknesses and you know yours. When I see any kind of pie or homemade bread, I long for it to be in my mouth. I admit that I lust for it, wanting it. It begins in the mind with me, mentally tasting the forbidden fruit. Then I walk by it, thinking I can eat only half of a piece and that won't be so many calories. (justifying my wrong) Yes, I put in on my plate and in my mouth. That act shows up as a spare tire around my waist. The evidence is evident. I can no longer hide my sin. It shows up-thighs, hips, waist.  Are you with me, ladies?

LET IT GROW

I don't want to grow physically, but spiritually. I want to resist the temptation of food that is not good for my body. The question is HOW? Here are my suggestions that I am going to use:
  • Pray that ye enter not into temptation. (Luke 22:40b) Jesus told the disciples this when they were on the Mount of Olives before Jesus' trials and the cross. It was before they fell asleep while He prayed alone.
  • Ask Jesus for an alternative, a way to escape the temptation. (1 Cor. 10:13)
  • Have a plan and do it. Before going into the kitchen, I will decide what I will eat; before going through the restaurant doors what I will order; make a menu for the week or month  ahead of time.
  • Be ready for the twinge of hunger before it hits; plan healthy snacks.
  • Watch and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. (Mark 14:38) When and where am I most tempted?
  • In everything give thanks. (1 Thess. 5:18) I will sincerely thank the Lord for rabbit food, carrots, Jello, yogurt, and plain pretzels. I'll even work on my grumbling.
  • Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. (Ps. 37:5)This is a way of life, not a diet. (Lysa TerKeurst)
  • Exercise by walking or on the treadmill. My plan is walking 5 times a week, working up to 2 miles each. That is 10 miles a week and 520 miles a year. Now that's something to share. I hadn't looked at it long term.
  • Share with us your progress so we can encourage each other. (James 1:2)
  • Rejoice evermore. (1 Thess. 5:16) 
Jesus has the answer, friends. I prayed for His guidance.  I used the internet to research my disease and diet needed. Now I enjoy freedom as I live in my body, though it's 6 pounds heavier, to do things and not be restricted. Ask and ye shall receive, seek and ye shall find; knock and it shall be opened.
Our answers are in Him, not a diet book, but His Book, the Word of God.

Are you with me on this one, or am I the only one struggling with weight problems? Hey, let's help each other with it.


LET IT GO


Pray, ask, plan, watch, give thanks,  commit, exercise, share.

Whatever I do, do it heartily as to the Lord, and not to men. (Colossian 3:23)

Rejoice over the victories, others' and mine.












     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment