Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Looking for a Bumper Crop

Hebrews 6-Part 3
For ground that drinks the rain which often falls upon it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.            Hebrews 6:7-8  NAS


LET IT GLOW

When I was a child, my dad plowed up a spot behind the house with the tractor and plow. After the ground was tilled up, he changed the plow to another piece of machinery for fertilizing. I sat on the back of it, watching the fertilizer drop into the freshly dug rows, going around and around, up and down the rows. It was sure a faster and easier way to prepare the garden spot for planting. (My job was to let him know when the fertilizer stopped coming out.) We had a big fruitful garden that year, due to plenty of rain. Of course, Mom canned and froze most of it for the winter. After everything was harvested, Dad burned the empty, dried plants and stalks.
Do you see the comparison with our verses?

We are the ground on which the Grace of God falls to water the seeds of His Word. It refreshes and brings forth spiritual fruit, a blessing useful to others. Do I let God's Word take seed in my heart, grow, and become fruitful to share with others? Am I soaking up His grace, then producing fruit of the Spirit?
Galatians 5:22-23 gives us the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance.

David Guzik said, "God is looking for what grows in us after He blesses us, especially what grows in terms of maturity."

I am looking for a  bumper crop this year. How about you?


 LET IT GROW

Verse 8 can be put this way: Land that bears nothing but weeds and brush is worthless and "in the end will be burned." (Shepherd's Notes)

Along my road, I see thistles, ragweed, and briers out in some fields. These are of no profit to the farmer who grazes cattle. They only take away from the grass  production to feed the cattle. So the farmer will probably burn up the useless plants.
It sounds like the Lord removes the useless ones not producing spiritual fruit. I don't want to be in that group.


LET IT GO

Soak up God's grace and Spirit as they fall upon me.

Honor the Lord Jesus as I bear spiritual fruit.

Live a Spirit controlled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment