Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Looking Back

         

Summary of Philemon

LET IT GLOW and GROW

When this week passes, it will never return. As you well know, this is the first week of a brand new year. Last year will not return. What's done is done. Have you been looking back at the old year? I have. I found there were some things I should have done differently; some things I should have said or not said; some things I should have done more, and some I should have done less. Evaluation is always good. It puts things in their right perspective, don't you think? We can learn from our mistakes and improve.
So I am ready to take a look back at the letter Paul wrote to Philemon, a summary if you will. Since we have looked at the people and situation, I want to look at some words Paul used.

  • love-Paul heard of the love Philemon had toward the Lord Jesus and the saints. (verse 5)
  • faith-Paul also heard about Philemon's faith in Jesus. He must have been teaching it in the church which met in his home. (verse 5)
  • thanks-Paul thanked God for Philemon. (verse 4)
  • prayers-Paul prayed for his dearly beloved friend Philemon. (verse 4)
  • joy-Paul had joy because of the refreshment of the saints at Colossae due to Philemon. (verse 7)
  • refreshed-The believers were encouraged at this church because of Philemon. (verse 7)
  • prisoner-Paul was in imprisoned in Rome because of his witness for Jesus, but allowed visitors. (verse 9)
  • servant-Onesimus was still owned by Philemon, but was free in Jesus. (verse 16)
  • wronged and owed-Paul was willing to make right what Onesimus had done wrong to Philemon. (verse 18)
  • receive-Paul encouraged Philemon to receive back Onesimus, who had sinned and run away.(verse 17)
  • grace-Jesus gives all grace freely. It is by God's grace that we are saved through faith.(Eph.2:8)
  • forgiveness-A word not mentioned, but implied by Paul.
Will I spend more time in prayer this year? Will I give thanks to God more? Is my love and faith growing stronger? Will I refresh others? What kind of servant of Jesus' will I be this new year? Will I forgive what happened last year and show more grace? Will I serve Jesus more faithfully?
Those are things to ponder.

LET IT GO

At the feet of Jesus, I need to let go of some attitudes and hurts so I can forgive and start anew.
Seek the grace and forgiveness of Jesus, then show it to others.
Make time to pray more.
Be more thankful.
Be filled with the joy of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment