Friday, January 13, 2012

Screening Calls

Hebrews 3-Part 1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus: Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faitful in all his house.   Hebrews 3:1-2

LET IT GLOW
I appreciate modern technology. I use the caller ID to screen my telephone calls. The reason is mostly because of the telemarketers, who I want to avoid, call me very frequently. Also, it helps, on the other hand, to know to whom I will be talking before I answer.
The author of Hebrews mentions a calling to us. It's a direct call from heaven; a call from the heavenly Father to come to Him for salvation. It's a heavenly call to grace, a gift from God. I have answered that call. Have you? Soon there will be another call from heaven, one to come home when my journey on earth is finished, completed. Am I be ready to answer that call, too? Are you?
Another thing I noticed the author using in verse 1 is holy brethren. This term can only be applied to the people in the family of God, set apart by the grace of God. The writer is referring to people in the church, the body of Christ. (Shepherd's Notes)
This encourages me today. The message is : God loves us, you and me, friends. He sent the ultimate Messenger, Jesus Christ with that message to us.
Am I answering my calls today? I am, especially those from heaven.

LET IT GROW

The author says for us to consider Jesus our High Priest and an Apostle.
Apostle refers to a delegate, messenger,one sent forth with orders. (Thayer's Lexicon)
NIV says, Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess.

Jesus, as the Apostle, is the authoritative Spokesman concerning His New Covenant of grace made with His believing and behaving people.
Jesus, as the High Priest, enables and mediates our confession. He goes to God for us.
 (Shepherd's Notes)

"Jesus now represenets men to God in heaven," said Warren Wiersbe in his book, Be Confident.

"To fix one's thoughts  on Jesus is to observe Him so as to understand His profound significance. It is an effort to perecive Him in all His fullness, concentrating on the true meaning of His life and work,. We are to fix our thoughts on Jesus baecause of His faithfulness (verse 2). (Shepherd's Notes)

Do i take my concerns to my High Priesst, Jesus? Do I confess my sins to my High Priest, Jesus? Are my thoughts fixed on Him throughout the day? Things to ponder
.

LET IT GO

Call on Jesus anytime; His calls are not screened.

Fix my thoughts on Jesus during the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment