Monday, January 30, 2012

As Easy as Falling off a Horse

Hebrews 6-Part 2
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
Hebrews 6:4-6 NIV

LET IT GLOW

In the very beginning of this discussion, I wish to say that I believe that one cannot loose their salvation. Thus, once save, always saved, is my view point of these specific verses. Can I show you why?
A key word in verses 4-6 is impossible, which means "that cannot be done." (King James Dictionary)
What is impossible in these verses? It's impossible to bring some people back to repentance.
Who are these people?
  • They've been enlightened (brought to the light). (verse 4)
  • They've tasted of the heavenly gift (salvation). (verse 4)
  • They've shared shared in the Holy Spirit. (verse 4)
  • They've tasted the goodness of the Word of God. (verse 5)
  • They've experienced the powers of the coming age (world to come). (verse 5)
From the view that a person can't loose their salvation, as describing the person above, there is no need to go indepth. It is impossible for that person described above to need salvation again. However, in my readings I have found other views.
Shepherd's Notes says it this way, "Salvation is from first to last a work of God that cannot be reversed by human beings."

In other words, salvation is the work of God, not me.

LET IT GROW

I had fun times  riding horses when I was growing up. My family had one for several years that I would ride with a sibling. A neighbor girl had a horses, also. I recall one particular time when she and I were riding with me on the back, not in the saddle, but on the horses' behind.The ride was great until the horse decided to galop down a small hill on our road. That is when I found myself falling off the horse onto the rocky dirt road. (Now less you ask, falling off a horse is easy, but I think it's just a saying in my region of the country.) Of course, it skinned my up and hurt enough to bring tears to this girl. But my friend came back, helped me up on the horse again, and we rode back to the house. (That incident didn't stop me from riding a horse again.)  That illustration came to my mind when I read about "falling away." Isn't it easy to spend your time elsewhere than with the Lord and His Word; busying ourselves, enjoying things? He sends His grace to pick us up again and put us on the right path.

"The sin of falling away is the sin of deliberately, willfully, intentionally rejecting God. These scriptures don't teach that Christians can fall from grace, but it does warn that if Christian salvation should ever be abandoned it could never be recovered," states Shepherd's Notes.

Other views of thsi passage included: the described person was never saved to begin with; it is only a hypothetical possibility that can't happen in reality; the person saved can loose their salvation.

Under what conditions is it impossible to bring such persons back to repentance? If they fall away. A person who falls away continues to crucify the Son of God and hold Him in contempt. Jesus died only once and for all who will accept His gift of salvation. He won't do it again. It is not needful.
[Resource: Shepherd's Notes ]


Charles A. Trentham said, "To bring a person who has finally denied Jesus back to salvation would be impossible, for it would be saying that the 'once for all death' of Jesus was insufficient. A new foundation would have to be laid.With His adequate strength for our weakness and the Holy Spirit to be our guide, we have full-and-complete salvation. If we refuse this or renounce this, there could be nothing more God could do to renew us to repentance."

Isn't doubting God's ability to keep us saved like questioning His all-powerful character? Wouldn't it be saying He doesn't keep His promises? His Word isn't true?

I have  strayed away from God, but He brought me back, as a sheep wanders away from the sheepfold. I may not act like a believer at times, but He brings me under conviction and to repentance for those sins. Just as I need a physical daily cleansing, so I do need a heart cleansing daily, also. My joy becomes restored when my burdens are unloaded.

I hope this is clearer than mud and shed light on the subject.

LET IT GO

Be grateful for the Light; the heavenly gift of salvation; the Holy Spirit; the goodness of His Word; heaven is coming.
Act like a Christian so people don't doubt my salvation.

Praise the Lord for His eternal salvation!

Special prayer request: Friends, will you remember my husband, Roger, in prayer this week? He is going into the hospital Tuesday morning to begin a 3 day stay while they monitor a new medicine that will help regulate the rhythm of his heart. so excuse me if I am late with any postings, because he will be my priority this week. Thanks so much. Ya'll are such sweet people. Lord bless ya today. :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment