Thursday, September 1, 2011

Working to the Point of Exhaustion

337.  " Working to the Point of Exhaustion" 
             Sept. 1, 2011  
                   
1 Timothy 4-Part 3
For therefore we both labor and suffer repreach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, specially of those that believe. 1 Timothy 4:10


LET IT GLOW

I remember the day our only daughter got married. The church was in a city where she and her husband-to-be  had graduated from college the week earlier and was not where we lived. There was a lot to do that day-pick up flowers and the cake, make punch, decorate for the reception, then get myself dressed. Whew! Makes me tired just remembering.
After the ceremony and reception, we were the clean-up crew. Thankfully, her inlaws and friends helped, too. Needless to say, I was tired and exhausted when I finally fell into bed that night. (Everything turned out wonderful, though, in my labor of love.)

Liberty Bible Commentary has this to say:
Paul says that we labor because we trust in the living God. The Greek word for labor is kopiao, which means to work at it to the point of exhaustion as athletes do. Did you ever watch football players practice and exercise like this? To pay such a price for godliness is done because we trust in the living God.

Thayer's Lexicon states the definition of labor in this verse is to toil; to labor with wearisome effort.

Am I laboring for Jesus to the point of exhaustion? Am I toiling to do His will?


LET IT GLOW

Not only did Paul say they labored because they trusted in the living God, but he said they also suffered reproach. Reproach is a charge with a fault. We know that Paul was in prison because of his preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ, which offended nonbelievers. (NAS and CSB use the word strive instead of reproach.)

Paul trusted in the living God. Trust means to direct hope unto one.
"Believers are saved in hope, and live and serve in light of that hope of eternal life (Titus 1:2, 3:7). Working to the point of exhaustion and suffering rejection and persecution are acceptable because believers understand they are doing God's work," states MacArthur Bible Commentary.

My trust is in the living God. Is yours?


LET IT GO

Labor and  suffer because I trust in my living God.

Keep eternal life in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment