Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dusty Dishes

1 Timothy 4-Part 6 Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed upon you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.   1 Timothy 4:14


LET IT GLOW

Last December, I bought my daughter a set of beautiful dishes for serving dessert and refreshments at Christmas time. Because she lives so far away, shipping them to her was out of the question. (I don't want to risk  breakage.) Therefore, the dishes sit boxed in a tub, which is collecting dust in my storage building. They were not used last Christmas and won't be used again this year (unless she moves closer). My gift is not benefiting anyone, is it? So it can be with my spiritual gifts. If I neglect to use them in the church, my spiritual gifts are benefiting no one. Let's see what Paul tells Timothy about it.

"The word gift is the Greek word charisma. It simply means "a gracious gift from God." Every Christian has the gift of the Spirit (Rom. 8:9) and at least one gift from the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:11). The gift of the Spirit, and the gifts from the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23) are bestowed by God at the moment of conversion
(1 Cor. 12:13). (Wiersbe's Be Faithful)

Timothy's gift was leadership with special emphasis on preaching and teaching. His gift was identified by a revelation from God and apostolic confirmation. (MacArthur)

Do you know what your spiritual gifts are?


LET IT GROW

Liberty Bible Commentary states this:


There is a difference of opinion as to whether this (neglect not) meant stop neglecting or don't start neglecting the gift. An entrusted spiritual gift is not to be put under a bushel (Matt. 5:15) nor hid in the earth but put to use. Every Christian is gifted (1 Peter 4:10) and needs to heed this admonition.

In other words, Paul is saying, "Don't let your spiritual gift go to waste."

After spending a couple of years getting my health straightened out, I am now finally able to get back to teaching children at my church. We have children's church for the younger children and I began teaching them. I enjoy doing it and hopefully they will learn some basics of our faith.

Are we being faithful in serving the Lord and others with our spiritual gifts He has given us, or are they collecting dust as my dishes are?


LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of so I will be faithful in using my spiritual gifts? Probably my time for prepartion
to teach God's Word.

Don't neglect using my gifts as the servant did in Matthew 25.












No comments:

Post a Comment