Monday, September 26, 2011

Riches

1 Timothy 6-Part 9
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in this living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy.  1 Timothy 6:17

LET IT GLOW

Two automobiles to drive, two televisions, a computor, cell phones, vacations-all are luxuries. Extra food in the cabinets available anytime to eat, new clothes to wear each season, a comfortable house with clean running water and electricity available constantly-these are things I take for granted. Are you with me? However,  most of the world does not experience them now and  never will. I've seen people who do not have their basic needs met. They live in shanties, get some food on a daily basis, wear what they have on their back. I think how sad, but what am I doing about it? My description is of foreigners, but there are Americans with the same needs. Am I helping my neighbors?

Will they come to know the God who provides for all needs; the God who gives us richly all things to enjoy? Those are words Paul said to Timothy at the end of our verse 17. Do I enjoy all the things I have?

According to Thayer's Lexicon, richly, plooseeoce in the Greek, means abundantly;enjoy, apolowsis in the Greek, means enjoyment.
The living God gives us abundantly all these for our enjoyment. Am I thankful for all the little and big things?
Do I enjoy, give thanks, share all that God has blessed me with, or do I hord it selfishly, or strive for more and never satisfied?

The theme in Ecclesiastes is "Enjoy the blessings of life now, because life will end one day," See Ecc. 2:24;
3:12-15, 22; 5:18-20; 9:7-10; 11:9-10.
Wiersbe says, "This is not sinful 'hedonism,' living for the pleasures of life. It is simply enjoying all that God gives us for His glory."

The path to true happiness and contentment is found in this verse.
Also, Matthew 6:33 says, But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Psalm 37:4 says Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

In his book, The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren says:
God also gains pleasure in watching you enjoy his creation. He gave you eyes to enjoy beauty, ears to enjoy sounds, your nose and taste buds to enjoy smells and tastes, and the nerves under your skin to enjoy touch. Every act of enjoyment becomes an act of worship when you thank God for it. God even enjoys watching you sleep! When you are sleeping, God gazes at you with love, because you were his idea. He loves you as if you were the only person on earth.
What God looks at is the attitude of your heart: Is pleasing Him your deepest desire? This was Paul's life goal: More than anything else, however, we want to please him, whether in our home here or there.
(2 Cor.5:9 TEV) When you live in light of eternity, your focus changes from "How much pleasure am I getting out of life?" to "How much pleasure is God getting out of my life?"
Will you make pleasing God the goal of your life? There is nothing that God won't do for the person totally absorbed with this goal.


Am I seeking God first? Is He the delight of my heart?
How rich we are with His gifts of grace and mercy, love and forgiveness!


LET IT GROW

Paul added a special charge for Timothy to give to the rich. I may not think it applies to me, but it does. My standard of living would certainly make me "rich" in the eyes of Timothy's congregation. Paul calls the rich to be good stewards of their God-given resources (Deut. 8:18; 1 Sam. 2:7; 1 Chr. 29:12).

What is it that Paul says to the rich?
  • Be humble, not highminded.. (verse 17a)
  • Trust God, not wealth. (verse 17b)
  • Enjoy what God gives you. (verse 17c)
  • Employ what God gives you. (verses 18-19)
   [Resource: Warren Wiersbe's Be Faithful]
"There is nothing wrong with being rich, if those who are rich are 'rich toward God' (Luke 12:21) and are willing to communicate or give of what they have to those in need. Then God will give 'richly all things to enjoy,' " states Liberty Bible Commentary.


Psalm 147:11 (CEV)  states The Lord is pleased with those who worship him and trust his love.


LET IT GO

Trust and love God foremost.

Be thankfouls for what He has given me.

Share with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment