Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Avoiding "Her"

1 Timothy 6-Part 11
O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.  1 Timothy 6:20-21 KJV

Timothy, guard what God has entrusted to you. Avoid godless, foolish discussions with those who oppose you with their so-called knowledge. Some people have wandered from the faith by following such foolishness. May God's grace be with you all.   NLT

LET IT GLOW

Grace be with you.
According to Thayer's Lexicon, grace is loving kindness, favor.
Isn't this a fitting conclusion for Paul's letter? It takes God's grace to shepherd a flock and live the Christian life. His grace is sufficient and available. Unless the grace of God is present in a ministry, service, Paul's advice is of no avail.

KJV says Amen. It's as if Paul says,"So let it be in every place, in every age."

Is God's grace prevailing in my service to the Lord? Am I a gracious person?


LET IT GROW

I recall a particular  time I was shopping  when I spotted "her." Hoping she didn't see me, I quickly turned and detoured down another isle. Yes, I was avoiding talking to "her." Why? She was known for her questions, noseiness, and gossiping. The problem was, she kept appearing down the isles where my items I needed were located. After a few successful avoidances, I had a talk with myself, realizing that I was not being very Christlike and headed straight to her. (Eventually, it would happen anyway.) I acted surprised to have met her there. It wasn't so bad, a casual conversation, and then I grabbed my box of sweetener and quickly finished shopping. Whew! I felt better after that. It was the right thing to do, not avoiding "her", I mean.

Paul makes a final plea to Timothy in verse 20. What does he say?

(1) Keep means to guard in the military sense. (Phylasso in Greek) Guard that which was committed to
      thy trust. Paul pleads for Timothy's faithfulness as the requirement of a steward (1 Cor. 4:2). To each of
      us are given "gifts and callings" (Rom. 11:33). They are sacred; they must not be taken lightly. None of us
      dares let up his guard for one minute. We must all be found faithful.
      What was committed to Timothy's trust? This translates one Greek word, which means deposit. The
      deposit Timothy was to guard is the truth-the divine revelation that God committed to his care. He's
      talking about the gospel of Jesus Christ.

(2) Avoiding means to turn away from, to shun a thing, to avoid meeting or associating with one.
      Paul says to avoid the detours of profane and vain babblings and science falsely so called. Avoid what?
      Avoid the philosophies of false teachers. Stick with the fear of the Lord and His wisdom. We have the
      Bible to show us spiritual understanding. Am I avoiding false teachings or the Truth?

(3) Don't err concerning the faith. (astocheo in Greek) It means to deviate from, miss the mark. False
      teachers miss the mark of God's purpose for them now and they miss the mark of God's prize for them in
      heaven (Phil. 4:13). Believers must seperate themselves from those who depend on worldly wisdom.
      Don't go astray from the faith in Jesus.
[Resources: MacArthur Bible Commentary, Liberty Bible Commentary]

LET IT GO

Stay committed to God's Word, The Truth.

Avoid other teachings, cults' doctrines.

Keep my faith in Jesus Christ.

Pass on the grace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment