Thursday, September 8, 2011

How we Treat our Family

1 Timothy 5-Part 1
Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to him respectfully as you would to your own father. Talk to younger men as you would to your own brothers. Treat older women as you would your mother, and treat younger women with all purity as you would your own sisters.
1 Timothy 5:1-2 NLT


LET IT GLOW

I grew up the youngest of three children, with an older brother and sister. Dad and Mom stayed married until his death. If my calculations are correct, they were married 46 years. I was a very sensitive child, so I didn't require much discipline. However, one time, I ran away from Mom, who was going to discipline me. (I didn't think she would run after me.) Now that was a mistake on my part. She ran after me, caught me, and did I learn not to repeat that behavior again! My seat became the focus of correction, and rightfully so. Looking back, I felt loved and knew my boundaries. Really, I didn't give my parents too many problems. I respected them. My siblings spoiled me since there is 7 and 10 years difference between them and me.

Each of us grew up in a different family. That's where our early attitudes toward God, others, and self were formed. Hopefully, we learned to respect our father, love our mother, and obey them both, since they had our best in mind. Of course, we all got along with our brothers and sisters. (I heard that comment.)

Paul is giving Timothy some advice about how to treat various kinds of people in the church, not showing partiality (verse 21). The church is a family. Since Timothy was a younger man, he might ignore or slight the older members, so Paul encouraged him to love and serve all ages of people.

Do I show partiality to people my age and slight the older and younger ones? More importantly, do they feel like I do?


LET IT GROW

Paul says to treat the older members like your father and mother, and the younger ones like your brothers and sisters.
First, Paul address treatment of the older men. Rebuke not is the phrase he used. This is the only place it occurs in the New Testament.
Rebuke means to chastise with words, to chide, upbraid. (Thayer's Lexicon)
It describes a verbal pounding. Such treatment would show no appreciation for age. (Shepherd's Notes)
So an older sinning believer is to be shown respect by not being addressed with harsh words (2 Tim. 2:24-25). Here, the older men is referred to in generallity, not the office of an elder. Even as one is correcting an older man, he is to be honored, respected (Lev. 19:32). They should not be rebuked with harsh words, but entreated as a family member.

Entreat means admonish, exhort. In Greek, parakletos, refers to coming alongside someone to help. Exhort relates to the title of the Holy Spirit. We are to strengthen our fellow believers in the same way the Scripture and the Holy Spirit do.

The second group Paul talks about is the young men. They are to be talked to as brothers.

The third  group was the older women to be treated as mothers.

The fourth group was the younger women to be treated as sisters, both with purity.
Purity means sinless of life.
God's servants must be so discreet. Any impropriety (especially with women) can and has ruined many a pastor's ministry. Impropriety is an improper action. (Liberty Bible Commentary)
Abstain from all appearance of evil says 1 Thessalonians 5:22.


LET IT GO

Treat others in my church family as my family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment