Monday, September 5, 2011

Squeezing Sponges

1 Timothy 4-Part 5
Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 
1 Timothy 4:13 KJV

Until I come, give your attention to public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, and teaching. NAS


LET IT GLOW


It had been a while since I sat in my porch swing early in the morning, reading God's Word all alone. How refreshing it was, the coolness of the morning, listening to birds sing His continual praises. Usually, I begin in Psalm 1, but this day I began wigh Paslm 100-Make a joyful noice unto the Lord, all ye lands. How long has it been? My heart burst out joyful singing and giving of thanks. He is my Creator, Lord. He is good and His mercy is everlasting. His truth endureth to all generations. Yes, He is.
It is refreshing to get away from all the noice a household provides. Just to listen to His Spirit.

How many years, decades, have I spent listening to preaching in God's house? A few years as a child and a youth. Almost  40 as an adult; but there were years of straying away during that time.
And what did I learn sitting, listening to His Word?
Did It make a difference in my life? I think so. After all this time and hearing many pastors preach, I am still striving to remain faithful to my Lord Jesus. Am I like a sponge, absorbing God's Word?
How closely am I listening to the reading of God's Word? Now I take notes on what is being said.
Do I let His Spirit speak to my spirit through Scriptures? After all, He preserved His Word in order to speak and instruct me.
Lord Jesus, give me a hunger for Your Word. James 1:22 states, But be ye doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Jeremiah 9:20 says, Listen, you women, to the words of the Lord; open your ears to what He has to say.

Psalm 25:4-5 says, Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths.

Psalm 86:11 says, Teach me thy way, O Lord, my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.

Psalm 143:8 says, Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning for I am trusting You. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to You.

I looked up the word listen in Young's Concordence and only found one verse in which it was used. Then I looked up the word hear and found 4 large pages listing the scriptures in which the word is used. So what's the difference in listening and hearing?
Webster's Dictionary defines listen as try to hear; give heed; be compliant. Hear means listen to; give attention to; be informed of; be told; learn by report. Stop. Paul disn't say listen or hear the Word. What did he say? Give attendance. What is that in today's words?

"Give attendance to" means "devote yourself to, be absorbed in." Ministering the Word was not something Timothy was to do after he had done other things; it was to be the most important thing he did. (Wiersbe)

How important is God's Word to me? How devoted am I to It? Am I absorbed in it?
Absorb means take in, engulf, according to Webster. A sponge comes to my mind when I read the word absorb. Am I only absorbing and not letting out the Word? Does God have to "put the squeese on me" before I let it out, teaching others? Guilty.

Word of God speak. Pour down like rain, washing my eyes to see, Your Majesty. To be still and know, that You're in this place. Please let me stay and rest in Your Holiness. Word of God speak. (Forgive me if I misquoted.)


 LET IT GROW

These things were to be Timothy's constant practice, his way of life.

Reading refers to the custom of reading of Scripture in the church's worship service, followed by the exposition of the passage that had been read (Neh. 8:1-8; Luke 4:16-27). Remember, they didn't possess Bibles as we do nowdays. REading of the law and the Prophets was always in the Jewish synagogues. This practice carried over into Christian churches. Jesus read the Scriptures in the synagogue at Nazareth (Luke 4:16) and Paul often read the lessons when he visited a synagogue (Acts 13:15).

Exhoration challenges those who hear the Word to apply it in their daily lives. It may involve rebuke, warnig, encouragement, or comfort. It's the application of teaching. "It is the grounding in the truth for belief that affects behavior," is a quote from Liberty Bible Commentary. The pastor was to read the Word, explain it, and apply it.

Doctrine (teaching) refers to systematic instruction from the Word of God (Titus 1:9). It's the basis of Christian belief. "Experience" is quick and easily gotten, but doctrine takes time and a great deal of effort. Doctrinally weak believers are immature believers.
[References: MacArthur Bible Commentary, Liberty Bible Commentary, Be Faithful by W.W.Wiersbe]


LET IT GO

Absorb the Word of God.

Apply the word of God to my life. Be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer only.

Remain faithful to the doctrines of the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment