Friday, September 2, 2011

Youth

1 Timothy 4-Part 4
Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.    1 Timothy 4:12


LET IT GLOW

My husband often says that life is wasted on youth. But who wants to go back to acne, peer pressure, or competition? Yes, I could have used some wisdom in my decisions I made as a young person, but would it have changed anything? If I had not married at 18 nor waited to enter college at 25, then I would not have my two children; I would not have become an elementary teacher; I would not have experienced God's provisions by moving away from family. So youth will be youth. I'm enjoying middle age. Well, maybe the top of the hill is around the next corner. Sometimes I need a hand to pull me up. Got one?
How important is age in the scope of things? If we are following God's leading, does it matter what age we are? Perhaps it does in the eyes of people. Wisdom comes through experience, age, so they say. Does age matter in God's perspective? I wonder.

Timothy had begun well in obeying God's commands. Paul desired that he continue in the path he had started in order to provide an example for others. Was Timothy a timid young man. It could hinder him from making a bold assertion of Christian truth. Paul warned Timothy to speak with authority. He wanted Timothy to teach these things (verse 11). (Shepherd's Notes)

This Greek culture placed great value on age and experience. Since Timothy was in his thirties, still young by the standards of that culture, he would have to earn respect by being a godly example. Because he had been with Paul since a young teenager, Timothy had much experience to mature him, so that looking down on him because he was under forty was inexcusable. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

This is a great verse to give encouragement to youth serving the Lord. Today, I don't consider "youth" as being 30-40 years old. A person in their 20's is still  young to me, for they lack the experience that life gives. However, to the elders at Ephesus, Timothy was but a youth.

Do I find myself not listening to a young person simply because they are young? Hmm. Do I discern if they are led by the Lord? Do I look down on those younger than I am?


LET IT GROW

The wise youth will be an example of believers so as to earn the respect of his elders. Example (typos in Greek) is a pattern, type or model.
Thayer's Lexicon states an example is to be imitated: of men worthy of imitation.
Exercising ourselves in godly living is not only profitable for us, but for others. It enables us to be good examples so we encourage others.

Paul named six areas of life in which Timothy was to be an example to the church:

* in word-Our speech should always be honest and loving; speaking the truth in love (Eph. 4:15);
                 Matt. 12:34-37; Eph 4:25, 29, 31;

* in conversation-conduct, behavior,  righteous living; walk not talk, suggests that our lives are to be
                              controlled by the Word of God. (Titus 2:10; 1 Peter 1:15, 2:12, 3:16)

* in charity-love points to the motivation of our lives. Because we love God, we love people. Love in a self-
                    sacrificial service for others (John 15:13)

*in spirit-the inner enthusiasm and excitement of a child of God.

*in faith-trusting God and being faithful to Him, committed (1 Cor. 4:2). Faith always leads to faithfulness.

*in purity-staying pure in mind, heart, and body; pure in motives and actions; especially sexual purity.

[Resources: Liberty Bible Commentary, MacArthur Bible Commentary, Wiersbe's Be Faithful]

Godly living not only helps us and other believers, it influences the lost. However, it isn't enough to live a godly life before the lost, but we must also share the good news of Jesus Christ with them, explaining salvation.

Am I living by God's standards?


LET IT GO

Listen to what youth have to say.

Be an example in my words and  life.

Let love, faith, and purity be found in me.







No comments:

Post a Comment