Monday, September 19, 2011

Can I Find Contentment?

1 Timothy 6-Part 4
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1 Timothy 6:6-8


LET IT GLOW

What used to make me content? I found it in a big paycheck (security in money), shopping and buying new things (time wasted), my status in a respectable job (pride), driving a new car (admiration of others), wearing new clothes (appearance gave self-confidence)), big house (sign of wealth), dinning at expensive restaurants (glutany). Need I go on? You know something, I only thought those things made me content and happy. Along with those things came worry about paying the bills. I was only feeding my flesh. Oh, I attended church everytime the doors were open, read my Bible, and prayed. But looking back, I kept seeking contentment and didn't find it. That's because I was walking down the wrong path that God had for me. I was seeking contentment in the worng things. That's it, I was seeking contentment in things, not in God and my relationship with Him. Yep, sadly, I have wasted many years. I can't get them back, but I can do right today.
I have found contentment. I have found it in Jesus, living for Him, walking with Him daily, submitting to His will for my life, depending upon Him to meet my needs. I pray that you will find contentment too in Jesus, dear friends and loved ones.

Now, what did Paul mean when he told Timothy that godliness with contentment is great gain?
"He encourages the younger pastor to find contentment in Chrits rather than in the world (6:7-10), to let that satisfaction fuel his striving for excellence (verses 11-16), and then to reproduce his contented striving in others (verses 17-19). This is the joy at the core of Christian ministry, " states Charles Swindoll.

Contentment is defined as a sufficiency of the necessaries of life: a mind contented with its lot, according to
Thayer's Lexicon.

I looked for other scriptures in Young's Analytical Concordance and found none. However, content was found. It means to be pleased, desirous; to ward off, help, suffice. Scripture references were Judges 19:6, 2 Kings 6:3, Job 6:28. We are told to be content with wages (Luke 3:14), food and raiment (1 Tim. 6:8), and such things as we have (Heb. 13:5).

MacArthur Bible Commentary says "Christians are to be satisfied and sufficient, and not to seek for more than what God has already given them. He is the source of true contentment (2 Cor. 3:5, 9:8; Phil. 4:11-13, 19).

The word indeed properly signifies "self-sufficiency", which in its strict sense, only belongs to God, who is
"El-Shaddai", God all-sufficient and self-sufficient. The godly man has enough; and such a man is content with what he has, and thankful for it, submits quietly to the will of God, and patiently bears every adverse providence.  Gain which godliness brings with it, makes a happy man indeed, letting his circumstances be what they will. (from The New John Gill Exposition of the Entire Bible)

The word here used for contentment is autarkeia...By it they meant a complete self-sufficiency . They meant a frame of mind which was completely independent of all outward things, and which carried the secret of happiness within itself. Contentment never comes from the possession of external things. (Barclay)

If contentment isn't found in material things or the getting more of it, thus shopping and to satisfy "the itch for more," how do we get it? Where is it found? It's found in spiritual things, in godliness.

Am I making a priority of material things, shopping and buying, a priority above spiritual things? Am I content to have my basic needs of life, food, clothing, and shelter, met with simple things? Am I thankful for what God has provided me?
2 Corinthians 3:5, Paul states, Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God.


LET IT GROW

What did Paul say that along with contentment was great gain? Godliness is the word he used.

"Godliness" is not meant any particular grace, but all the graces of the Spirit of God; as faith, hope, love, fear...the whole of internal religion, as it shows itself in outward worship, and in all acts of holiness of life and conversation; this is gain, very great gain indeed. (John Gill)

Before I became a Christian, I was in debt to God and could have never paid for it as God requires a sinless sacrifice.  I was spiritually dressed in rags; my righteousness was filthy rags. I was in a starving condition spiritually. Now that I'm a Christian, I'm debt free because it was paid by Jesus; I'm clothed in His robe of righteousness; I'm feasting on the Bread of Life and Word of God; I am a joint heir with Christ in His eternal kingdom. Wow!

I want to be rich in faith and good works. I want to be a godly person having the fruit of the spirit shining in and through me. I'm headed to a city whose builder and maker is God for an incorruptible inheritance.

How can I have godliness? I must be transformed by the renewing of my mind (Rom. 12:2).
Confess my sins (1 John 1:9).
Keep a humble heart, content with simple things.
Be thankful for God's provisions (1 Thess.5:18).
Allow His Word to penetrate my life by memorizing Scriptures.
Submit to His will for my life daily.
Pray according to His will.
Surrender to His Spirit.
Keep believing in Jesus.


LET IT GO

Let go of my attitudes toward material things.

Give God first place in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment