Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tree Roots

1 Timothy 6-Part 6
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.  But thou, O man of God, flee these things: and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
1 Timothy 6:10-11


LET IT GLOW

There's a big hole in our backyard. It was dug by our granddaughter. She enjoys playing in it very much. When I add water to it she splashes in it on a hot summer's day. She plays with all sorts of sand toys in it. She makes mud pies and even fills up a dump truck. There's one thing I've noticed about that hole.  Although it's several feet away from the 60 year old pecan tree, there's a small root running through it.  So she digs around the root, paying it no never mind.

What about this root? We all know the tree's roots are under ground, unseen.This tree's roots must be deep and long for the pecan tree  to have survived such a long time. I ask myself, "Where are my spiritual roots growing?" Are they running deep in God's Word, sprouting love, faith, godliness, patience, meekness? Or are the roots of my heart growing around money? Am I loving money more than God?
See Jeremiah 17:7-8 and Psalm 1.

Paul says that the love of money is the root of all evil. Riches in inself isn't good or bad. It's my attitude toward them that can be good or bad. In verse 9, Paul said it was the "wanting to get rich" that leads people into temptations, resulting in foolish and harmful desires, ruining and destroying lives.

So I need to keep my attitude about money in its right perspective. Don't let it consume my thoughts,always thinking how I'll spend it. Use it to help meet needs of others, to further God's kingdom work. Shun the love of money. Don't let it take root in my heart. Keep Jesus as the love of my life. Make sure His Word takes root in my heart. What's taking root in your heart?


LET IT GROW

What are some directives Paul gives Timothy in verse 11?
  • Flee these things (love of money, snares of the world).
  • Follow after righteousness. Follow (dioko) means "to run."  This righteousness is is a state of the heart and mind that operates in harmony with the mind of God as expressed in His Word. Be clothed in the fruit of the Spirit.
  • Run after godliness. Godliness is the authentic and abiding desire to glorify God through every thought, reaction, word, and deed.
  • Run after faith. Faith is the resting in God's promise to provide, protect, empower, and guide.
  • Run after love. Love is seeking the highest, greatest good of other people.
  • Run after patience. Patience or perseverance, is a deliberate, steadfast obedience despite pressures, difficulties, or temptations.
  • Run after meekness.Meekness or gentleness, is a controlled, confident, firm strength that offers reassurance to weak or wounded people. (from Swindoll and Wiersbe)

What am I running after?

Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus states:
The tighter you clutch your possessions, the greater hold they have on you. I encourage you to adopt three short statements and then reslove to make them true:
  • I'm grateful for what I have.
  • I'm satisfied with what I earn.
  • I'm generous to those in need.
I think those three short statements sum up what Paul is saying.  Time for some soul-searching?


LET IT GO

Keep the love of money from taking root in my heart.

Keep Jesus the love of my life.

Be grateful, satisfied, and generous with what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment