Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Treasures

1 Timothy 6-Part 10
Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.  1 Timothy 6:19 KJV

By doing this they will be storing up their treasure as a good foundation for the future so that they may experience true life. NLT


LET IT GLOW

About once a year, while visiting my mom, I would go through her cabinets and refrigerator, throwing out food with expired dates. Experience taught me not to make a big scene doing it. When I opened the frig for something, I'd do my checking in a casual way. Same thing with canned goods. (The freezer was a different story-major project to tackle.) I wanted everyone eating from her kitchen to stay safe. This was a technique I had developed over the years. Now I realize that these food items were some of her "treasures."

Oh me! I find myself being the same way. Not with food items, but "stuff" or "junk." I look around. Oh me, do I have too much stuff!
So what are the things I  really treasure? As I contemplated the question, I found my answer. My "treasured  things"  are located in my house and not in a storage building nor a bank.They are the things I use everyday for Bible study. They are commentaries, devotionals, Bible translations, concordances, lexicons, dictionaries, books about people's Christian walk of life, and internet resources. Now, these are only the physical things I treasure.
But there are other things I treasure. Not annimate objects, but things like children, grandchildren, family members, friends, church, God's promises in my heart, prayer time alone with God, beauty of His created nature. Yes, innanimate objects that can't collect dust or rust, that moths can't decay, nor thieves can steal. Say, that reminds me of scriptures.
Matthew 6: 19-21 tells us where we are to lay up our treaures-in heaven, not upon earth. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Liberty Bible Commentary says:
The proper attitude toward riches and the use of money lays up treasure for the future. The age-old expression, "You can't take it with you," is still true. But the believer can send it on ahead of him in the form of rewards. To do this is what it means to lay hold on eternal life.

Swindoll's New Testament Insights on 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus  tells us concerning wealth:
  • Don't be conceited. The Lord sovereignly gives to each person whatever is needed to cultivate a heart of righteousness.
  • Don't fix your hope on the uncertainty of riches. Money can be the means of God's provision and protections, but it is only one. He is our safety and our strength (Ps. 91)... and He never runs out of sruprises.
  • Do become rich in good works. 
  • Do be generous and ready to share. The kingdom of God is not an emergency savings plan; it's an investment opportunity. We are invited to cast all that we are and all that we own into the Lord's grand venture, and as full partners, we have complete access to everthing that belongs to Him.
What and where are my treasures?


LET IT GROW

Did you notice the phrase "good foundation?"
Foundation can refer to a fund. The idea is that the rich in this world should not be concerned with receiving a return on their earthly investment. Those who make eternal investments will be content to receive their dividends in heaven. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

Foundation refers to a solid and stable spiritual possession, on which resting as on a foundation they may strive to lay hold on eternal life. (Thayer's Lexicon)

Either way, I need a good foundation for my life, just as a building, wall, or city needs a good foundation.
1 Corinthians 3:11 (NLT) says For no one can lay any foundation other than the one we already have-Jesus Christ.

Is Jesus Christ the foundation of my faith? Is He the foundation of my life? The One that my faith is built upon? Yes is my answer to all three questions. How about you?


LET IT GO

Make Jesus the foundation of my life.

Treasure Jesus and His Word more than anything in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment