Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Exercise

1 Timothy 4-Part 2
For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.   1 Timothy 4:8


LET IT GLOW

Verse 6 in NAS says, In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.

Isn't it easy to forget things? The older I get, the easier it is to forget. That's why I need reminders along the way. I use my calendar, sticky notes, even laying something on my purse so I don't forget it when I go out the door. Then there's no guarantee I will remember. Are you with me?

Here are some things Paul points out to Timothy:
  • Help the brethren remember those things he has been writing about. (The Lord's Supper helps us
           remember what our Lord Jesus has done for us.)
  • Warn belivers of false teachings.
  • Be nourished on the words of faith and good doctrine. Diets are good only if we follow them. Menues help  us prepare nourishing meals for our families. Both are essential for good physical health. If the food  prepared using these guidelines is not eaten, it does no good to have diets and menues. In order for Christians to have spiritual health, they should constantly be feeding on the truths of Scripture.
  "Only by reading the Word, studying it, meditating on it, and mastering its contents can a pastor fulfill his
   mandate," states MacArthur Bible Commentary. This can also be applied to Christians.

 Am I being a good servant of Jesus by reminding you of God's teachings, doctrine, and warning about false teachings? It is my intent to do so.


LET IT GROW

I don't want to leave out verse 7 where Paul instructs us to refuse profane (worldly) old wives' fables (myths), which are fit only for the uneducated and philosophically unsophisticated. (MacArthur's words, not mine.)
Now, onto verse 8. Got your jogging/walking shoes on? Speaking of exercise, I have been walking 5-10 miles a week now for 6 years. A doctor told me that if I didn't, I would be in a wheelchair (back problems). Of course you know that got my attention as to how serious he was that I develop a regiment of walking for exercise. So I headed his warning and bought a treadmill. I must admit that up to that point in my life, I had only been a spectator and not a participator of exercises.

Exercis. We don't like that word, do we? At least I don't. What does Paul say? Exercise toward godliness.
Godliness is a proper attitude and response toward God. It's a prerequisite from which all effective ministry flows.
Exercise (gumuazo in Greek) is the word from which we get gymnasium. Exercise takes determination and discipline. Godliness comes at a price but it is profitable now and hereafter.
"If Christians put half the effort that goes into bodily exercise and put it into spiritual exercise, we would be much healthier and stronger spiritually, ans well as better off," states Liberty Bible Commentary.

Can anyone deny these teachings as truth? The wise become doers of the Word, right?

Godly character and conduct are far more important than golf trophies and home-run records, though it is possible for a person to have both. Paul challenged Timothy to be as devoted to godliness as an athlete is to his sport.

What are the spiritual exercises I am to be doing? Prayer, meditation, self-examination, fellowship, service, sacrifice, submission to the will of others and God, and witnessing are some. Spiritual exercise isn't easy. We must "labor and suffer reproach" (4:10a). NIV says, "for this we labor and strive." The word translated strive is an athletic word from which we get our English word agonize. It's the picture of an athlete straining and giving his best to win. A Christian who wants to exel must really work at it, by the grace of God and to the glory of God. (Wiersbe)

Bodily exercise only affects the physical body during this earthly life. Spiritual exercise affects eternity. Am I doing both for the glory of God?


LET IT GO

Hold to the words of faith and sound doctrine.

Exercise godliness.

Pray, study the Word, serve others, witness, submit to God's will.

Keep walking with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment