Monday, August 8, 2011

Why am I Here?

1 Timothy 1-Part 8
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.       1 Timothy 1:15


LET IT GLOW

Doesn't  it ususally happen during the teenage years, questioning "Why am I here?" I think I was an adult, though, whenever I began contemplating the answer. There were other questions: What do I want to be? What are my goals, my ambitions, my dreams for my future?

Have you ever read Rick Warren's book, The Purpose Driven Life ? He says, "The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness. It's far greater than your family, your career, or even your wildest dreams and ambitions. If you want to know why you were placed on this planet, you must begin with God. You were born by his purpose and for his purpose. Focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose. Job 12:10 (TEV) says, 'It is God who directs the lives of his creatures; everyone's life is in his power.'
It is only in God that we discover our origin, our identity, our meaning, our purpose, our significance, and our destiny. Every other path leads to a dead end. (Romans 8:6) You were made by God and for God-and until you understand that, life will never make sense."

I encourage you to get this book and read further on the subject.

What was the main purpose for Christ's coming? It wasn't to teach, heal, be an example, but to save sinners.
(Liberty Bible Commentary)

"Jesus came to save sinners, not those living under the illusion of their own righteousness; it is the 'sick' who need a 'physican' (Mark 2:17)," stated David Guzik.

Such good news. I was a sinner in need of a salvation. Now I'm still a sinner, but in need of grace and mercy from my Savior.

Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Yes, the good news is Jesus came to save you and me.  Do you know HIm today as your Savior?


LET IT GROW

In verse 15, Paul is saying that he is the chief  of all sinners. He isn't expressing super-pious humility. He genuinely felt his sins made him more accountable before God than others. (David Guzik)

The word sinners means  not free from sin. (Thayer's Lexicon) That includes me.

Aren't we all equally sinners? No; "All men are truly sinners, but all men are not equally sinners. They are all in the mire; but they have not all sunk to an equal depth in it, " clarified Charles Spurgeon.

Paul felt-rightly so-his sins were worse because he was responsible for the death, imprisonment, and suffering of Christians, whom he persecuted before his life was changed by Jesus. (Acts 8:3, 9:1-2; 1 Cor.15:9)
(Guzik)

There are worse kinds of sin; sins that harm God's people are especially grievous in God's eyes. Are you guilty, now or in the past, of harming God's people?

"God remembers jests and scoffs leveled at his little ones, and he bids those who indulge in them to take heed. You had better offend a king than one of the Lord's little ones," stated Spurgeon.

For some people, it is not easy to admit that they are a sinner in need of a Savior. That's when they need our prayers and witnessing.


LET IT GO

Find my purpose in life through God and His Word.

Daily admit that I'm a sinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment