Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Patterns

1 Timothy 1-Part 9
Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
1 Timothy 1:16 KJV
 And yet for this reason I found mercy, in order that in me as the foremost Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience, as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.  (NAS)


LET IT GLOW

Did you catch the phrase Paul used, "yet I found mercy?"  Yes, I too have found God's mercy. Have you?

According to Thayer's Lexicon, mercy means to succor (help) the afflicted, to bring help to the wretched; to experience mercy, specifically of God granting even to the unworthy favor, benefits, opportunities, and particularly salvation by Christ.

I understand mercy is not getting what we deserve. Of course, as a sinner, I deserve punishment for my sins and eternal Hell. Yet it is God's mercy that I found. I praise Him for it!  He gives me unworthy favors, life and breath, food; He gives me benefits as His child, blessings, answered prayers, and His unfailing love; He gives me opportunities to try again after failure, and to serve Him; He picks me up when I fall down; He especially gave me salvation. Now that's MERCY.
God demonstrated His perfect patience toward me, too. The first time He spoke to my heart offering salvation, I rejected Him. I was in junior high, attending VBS with my friends and was too proud to admit my need. I didn't know what my friends would think of me. (Of course they would have rejoiced, but I didn't know that at the time.) A couple of years later, I found His mercy.
So much we take for granted, huh?


LET IT GROW

Throughout the years, I have sewn my own clothes, mostly dresses. In order to do that, I found a pattern made the way I wanted my dress to look. Then I placed it on top of the material I chose, and cut out around the pattern. Following the directions, I sewed the pieces together. Doesn't God do that in our life, putting the pieces together?

"Why does God save sinners like Paul and like us? One great reason is so the longsuffering God shows to us would be a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him. So that others can see what God can do with us!" David Guzik said.

Is my life a pattern for others to follow? Paul's life was changed when he met Jesus. Is mine?


LET IT GO

Always seek God's mercy and thank Him for it.

Make my life a pattern for others to follow as I keep Christ first.

No comments:

Post a Comment