Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Popped Knuckle

1 Timothy 1-Part 4
From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.  1 Timothy 1:6-7


LET IT GLOW

It's been over a year now since it happened. One Wednesday night I was decorating the tables for our next women's luncheon. My husband set up the tables for me, then he helped me put the tablecloths on the tables. Now, these were the thin plastic kind, so they didn't spread out very easily, sticking to itself. Well it happened-as I made the wave with the tablecloth, trying to get it down to the other end of the table,  my knuckle hit the table with a hard wham. It resulted in swelling and  put it out of joint. Thankfully it only hurt when touched, but it took a long time before I could pop my finger back into place.

This incident came to my mind when I read verse 6 in  Liberty Bible Commentary, "Having swerved (ektrepo in Greek) is a medical term which means 'to twist out of joint' like an arm out of socket. This causes great pain to the whole body."

Paul is talking about these false teachers who are perverting the doctrine of Jesus Christ and the law.
Jangle means to make a harsh, metalic sound. (Webster's Dictionary)
[Sounds like coins rattled in a pocket, to me]

According to  Thayer's Lexicon, the jangling  means vain talking, empty talk.
Other translations use the phrase: fruitless discussion (NAS), meaningless talk (NIV), silly talk (Beck), meaningless babble (Guzik Bible Commentary).

Anyway, the teachings of these false teachers didn't mean anything because they weren't teaching Truth.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

Their speech was aimless and had no logical end. I was irrelevant and didn't accomplish anything spiritual not did it edify believers. False doctrine leads nowhere, but to the deadening end of human speculation and demonic deception (6:3-5). (MacArthur Bible Commentary)

So I see how important my speech is. Is it spiritual and encouraging to believers or just empty talk? Especially at church, I need to watch my words. Also, I should always beware of false teachers.


LET IT GROW

Looking at verse 7, these false teachers must have wanted the kind of prestige enjoyed by Jewish rabbis, however, they didn't want to learn the law. Instead, they imposed on believers in Ephesus a legalistic heresy that offered salvation by works. (MacArthur)

As a teacher of God's Word, I am always striving to learn more. In fact, I am learning more and more as I dig into It and commentaries. My aim is to teach the Truth and help encourage others while using practical application. If I stray from it, please let me know. 


LET IT GO


Let my words be fruitful and the Truth.

Stay a humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment