Friday, August 12, 2011

Hurry-Up Prayers

1 Timothy 2-Part 1
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.     1 Timothy 2:1-2


LET IT GLOW

We live in a fast-paced era with drive-throughs, cell phones, internet, microwaves; you name it. We have all kinds of gagets to speed up processes so we may get onto what we enjoy doing most. Have we become a hurry up and wait society or what?  I rush through a meal, using a microwave or a drive-through, in order to make an appointment on time. I want to find out information instantly so I use the internet. (However, my slow dial-up internet conection on this county road tries my patience and I do something else while waiting for the connections.) When I want to talk to someone, it is "now." If they're not available, I use facebook, email, or text a message. Hurry, hurry, hurry. Then these questions come to me, after reading these verses: Do I hurry through a prayer so I can get onto something else? Do I try to hurry up God into answering my prayers?  Where is most of my time spent? Is it prayer and Bible study or tv? Ouch! What are we teaching our children and grandchildren? Do I take time to listen to god speak His will to me, or do I drop off my requests and go on my way? Guilty, Lord.

Why does Paul charge Timothy to lead his church in public prayers? Why pray for kings, public leaders, government authorities, and all men? The false teachers have caused the Ephesians to stray from Paul's teachings. They are leaning toward the ways of the Pharisees, pleasing men and not God. So believers should lead a quiet and peaceable life, which is with all godliness and honesty. What does that mean nowadays? How?

Quiet refers to the absence of external disturbances; peaceable refers to the absence of internal disturbances. (MacArthur Bible Commentary)
Godliness is reverence, respect, piety towards God. (Thayer's Lexicon)
Other versions of the Bible use the words "dignity, serious, noble" in place of honesty.

Jesus gave us a model, example of how we should pray found in Matthew 6:5-13. Please read it now.

In Kay Arthur's workbook, Lord Teach Me to Pray, she gives us topics to use while praying:
  • worship
  • allegiance
  • submission
  • petition & provision
  • confession & forgiveness
  • watchfulness & deliverance
  • worship
Prayer comes full circle, beginning and ending with the worship of God. These cattegories correspond with each verse of Jesus' prayer. It's a way of covering every topic as I pray. Although, I don't have to use all topics every time I pray. Have you memorized this part of scripture? I challenge you to learn it, if you haven't already. By the way, I've just recently begun sister Kay's book. It is a great if you're hungry to learn how to pray Jesus' way.
If there's one thing I've learned in the last year, it's been that prayer is NOT a hurry-up thing. So find your quiet closet, shut the door, and invite Jesus to join you in conversation. There is nothing like it, dear one. When we come to the garden alone, He's there waiting on us.

Do I desire a quiet and peaceable life? Sure, and you probably do also. Do I pray for godliness and honesty? I hadn't thought about it before now. But I do pray for each of you, my friend.


LET IT GROW


Look back at verse 1: I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men.

Prayers should include more than asking for needs, right? Let's keep in mind that Paul explains how to behave in the house of God, in public worship. First, there is prayer in the church. How many times do we pray during a worship service, whether out loud or privately?

Prayers (proseuche in Greek) is the common word for talking to God, and should include worship and praise. Intercessions has the idea of coming to God in boldness and confidence (Heb.10:19), not in behalf of others, like the English word means. Giving of thanks is not a phrase to be tacked on the end of our prayer, but it should be for specific things (1 Thess. 5:18). ( Liberty Bible Commentary)

For whom are we to pray? Paul tells us to pray for all men (people) and their salvation in verse 4. Pray for kings, those in authority. It's the Christian's duty. (I think this includes our government leaders from the national to local levels.) How often do I pray for God's guidance in their decisions?
This was the era of terrible persecution by the Roman emperors such as Nero. And we think we have it rough in our time.

LET IT GO

What do I need to let go of so I will spend more time praying?

Make an allotment of time in my daily schedule for prayer, making it a top priority.

Enter the throne room wearing the robe of righteousness, which is bloodstained that Jesus provides.

Pray for our government leaders, for the lost, for revival in our churches and nation. Pray for each other.

Lord Jesus, You are holy and our precious Redeemer.
Please bless each person who is walking with me through 1 Timothy.
You know their needs, so may Your Will be done in every circumstance of their life.
Will you shower them with Your love and blessings overflowing each day.
May this study be encouraging to them as they continue their Christian walk. May it not just be words on a blog, but may it be led by Your Holy Spirit.
May others find Truth and the love of Jesus here.
Thank You for Your Words.
How wonderful You are to us, sweet Savior.
In Your Name I pray.
Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment