Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No Down Payment

1 Timothy 2-Part 4
Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.   1 Timothy 2:6


LET IT GLOW

Sometimes when a person is buying a house or land, they give money ahead of time as a down payment. This shows that they are serious in making the purchase and will continue to make the payments on the loan.  When I think about Jesus' death on the cross as a ransom for me, He didn't make a down payment, nor a partial payment; it was paid in full.
"He paid for man's sins in full, not just a down payment," states Liberty Bible Commentary. It wasn't up to a certain day that my sins were washed away, the slate wiped clean. When I ask, He forgives all my sins.
It isn't for only certain sins that Jesus died nor for only a certain number of sins and after that I'm on my own. No, He paid for ALL of my sins.

Yesterday, we discussed verse 5, which tells us there is only one God and one Mediator, the man Christ Jesus. Keep in mind Paul is talking about prayer in chapter 2. Jesus has made the provisions for us so our prayers are heard by the heavenly Father. He interceeds for us.


LET IT GROW

Calvary was no accident nor was it a failure because Christ died on the cross. Jesus said in John 10:17-18 says, Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

Friends, He didn't have to endure the cross. It was because of His love for us that He did. He did it voluntarily, too. His Father didn't make Him do it. Such love!

Paul tells us in verse 6 that Jesus gave Himself a ransom for all. What does that mean?

Shepherd's Notes states this about the meaning of ransom:
This word is made up of two words, one of which has the primary meaning of freeing slaves and prisoners. The second word means "on behalf of" or "instead of." It suggests substitution. In the world of slaves and prisoners, money is paid and a slave is freed. The owner of the slave is satisfied with the payment.

Well then, a ransom was the price paid to free a slave. Jesus said that He came "to give His life a ransom for many" (Matt. 20:28). The death of Christ was sufficient for the sins of the whole world and for those who trust Him as Savior. Not all will be ransomed, though they have been provided for.

"Because His substitionary death was sufficient in meeting God's requirements and to cover the guilt of all the sins that will ever be committed, God can clearly offer it to all. Yet, only the elect will respond and be saved, according to His eternal purpose (John 17:12)" according to MacArthur Bible Commentary.

Christ was obedient in testifying the gospel to others. It was in due time (Gal. 4:4-6). He did His part and its our responsibility to share the good news, which is our part. Am I obedient, also? Do I pray for the lost that I know?


LET IT GO


Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe. Sin hath left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.

Pray for the lost.

Give my life to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment