Wednesday, May 8, 2019

When Trusting is Difficult

O. T. #1440  "When Trusting is Difficult"
May 8, 2019
Proverbs 3
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.  Proverbs 3:5-6

LET IT GLOW

It is that time of year once again. I had 4 graduation cards to find at the store. Well, I looked through many choices and found one that I liked, then bought 3 of them alike. (3 were for high schoolers and 1 for college grads) Wish they had such good advice as Solomon had in this chapter.

Solomon is challenging the young man, who has left home and is making his way in the world, to an appreciation of wisdom's ability to direct his life. What is he told to do in verses 1-12?
  • Remember what he has been taught as a child.
  • Keep the commandments in his heart.
  • Remain merciful and truthful.
  • Trust in the Lord with all thine heart.
  • Don't depend upon your own understanding.
  • In all your ways acknowledge Him.
  • Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.
  • Fear God and turn from evil.
  • Honor the Lord with your substance and first fruits. 
  • Don't reject the Lord's discipline, nor be upset when He corrects you.
Words of wisdom, huh?

Trusting people may become a difficult thing to do when others deeply hurt you. Then, trusting God with things may be difficult, too. Dear one, God is the One who is dependable and trustworthy. Try it a step at a time. Have faith the size of a tiny mustard seed and watch it grow into a large bush.

By following this advice, what will happen?

The young man would have a long and satisfying life. (verse 1b)
Favor with God and people will be obtained, as well as a good reputation. (verse 4)
God will show you which path to take. (verse 6b)
There will be healing for the body and strength for the bones. (verse 8)
Food and drink will be provided. (verse 9)
The Lord corrects those He loves like a father corrects his son, in whom he delights. (verse 12)


LET IT GROW

My Bible pages just fell back to 2 Kings 18-20. What are the words of wisdom that the Lord is telling you and me?

The king of Assyria had captured the cities of Judah in the north and was threatening Israel. He sent a message to Hezekiah, king of Israel: What are you relying on...?

As messages went back and forth between the kings, the king of Assyria was mocking the Living God. So Hezekiah sent the words to Isaiah the prophet. Isaiah's words from the Lord were: Don't be afraid of the words you have heard, that the king of Assyria's attendants have blasphemed Me with. I am about to put a spirit in him, and he will hear a rumor and return to his own land where I will cause him to fall by the sword. (19:6-7)

Hezekiah went into the Temple and laid the threatening letter from the king of Assyria before the Lord God and prayed.

Do you want to know how the situation turn out? Verses 35-37 tell us the angel of the Lord struck down 185,00 Assyrians one night-all dead. The king of Assyria head about it and left to live in Nineveh. Later, his sons struck their father with a sword and he escaped  to the land of Ararat.

God can restore a spark of faith into a blaze of fire of commitment to Him.
Folks, I needed that Word today.
What or whom are we relying on? Our self, an army, a bank account, or our God?

LET IT GO

Help me to be more merciful and remain truthful.
I want to trust You, Jesus, with all my heart.
When I don't understand this situation, help me to not lean on my own understanding.
When I lean to my own understanding, lean me toward You.
When I want to know what to do or the solution, keep me trusting in You.
Jesus, show me the right path, direct me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment