Friday, May 10, 2019

In Loving Memory of My Mother This Mother's Day

In Loving Memory of My Mother This Mother's Day

Good morning ya'll,
Sorry I didn't post yesterday, but I was doing the Grandmother thing. My granddaughter was in a "Moving Up to Middle School" program in early morning.

Today's post is dedicated to my Mother, since Mother's Day is this Sunday. First, here is an allegory.

It was time for you to be cut down, yet I did not know it-the old pecan tree in the backyard. My husband had contacted my nephew about it, which was all right. I just wasn't ready for it to happen so quickly. One day it was therewith green leaves and one day not. It's season was over. The tree was close to 60 years old. Several years earlier, a very strong wind split a couple of huge branched off the trunk, leaving it injured. Yet, there remained one branch which was leaning on the back fence that continued to produce pecans and provide shade for the cows in the hot summer days.

Oh tree, how you blessed my life. As a little girl, I would climb up you and stand in the middle of your branches, pretending to be in a castle, overlooking my queenly kingdom. You were shade for my family as we picnicked under you, sharing joyful times together. How many lushes pecan pies and Christmas candy did you provide for us down through the years!

There even grew a small, skinny tree out of your injured trunk. I am sad that you are soon to be gone, branches and trunk removed from our yard. However, you are in my memory-gone but not forgotten. (I did salvage a few pieces to dry for keepsake, maybe  bookends.)

Then I thought of my mother. We didn't know it was time for you to leave us, almost 22 years ago. You were a strong woman, working a job, cooking for your family, canning and freezing vegetables in preparation for the cold winters ahead. I recall the sweet shopping Saturdays and lunch at Piccadilly's, a fancy restaurant. After I grew up, my children loved coming to grandma's house. so did I. It was a shelter from the storms of life, where I found unconditional love and my burdens were lifted, preparing me to go back into the world of ministry.

Now I realized it was time for you to go to your eternal rest. Your body was tired and you were lonely for my dad's company in the evenings. How proud you would be of your 16 great grandchildren, and 2 great great grands. I see your loving ways extended down through the branches of your family. The girls are even good cooks like you, Mom. So even though you are not here to enjoy a picnic under the pecan tree, your red rose bush and snowball bush still bloom every year in your memory.

Mom was a Proverbs 31 lady.

You forever loving daughter,
Linda

Have a beautiful Mother's Day, ladies.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Gaylene. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day.
    I always appreciate your encouraging words, my friend.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete