Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Committed Geese

O. T. #1430  "Committed Geese"
April 24, 2019
Summary of Psalm
Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in His ways. Psalm 128:1

The other morning as I looked out my front door window, I saw a pair of geese in the field beside the pond. They have been there for a couple of weeks now. Apparently they had babies hatch out since more were on the pond.  (You can tell I like birds.) All of a sudden I heard honking from another pair flying over. They were not welcome in the pair's domain because the male on the ground got riled up, honking and flying over to the pond. It was if he told the fliers that was his home and keep on flying.

So I had to google my question-Are geese mated for life? The answer was yes. Males are very protective of their partners and offspring.
I keep telling my husband this pair of geese are the same ones that come visit me every year, but he fluffs it off. Maybe I am right. Anyway, I enjoy hearing them honk at me, as if to tell me "good morning" and "we're back." I use my binoculars to watch from a distance.  (One of God's blessings living along my country road.)

Well, could our society take heed from the example of the geese. Do I dare say that every family in our country has a divorced couple in it? Isn't it sad?

Turn over to chapter 128 today. We see that a good family life is a reward for following God when He is the head of the home. This writer gives the result of such a family-blessings:
  • Food (verse 2) to eat is a result of working.
  • Children (verse 3)around the table.
  • The man, husband and father, fears the Lord. (verse 4)
  • A nation will be prosperous, as Jerusalem. (verse 5)
  • You will live to see grandchildren. (verse 6)
Life Application Study Bible gives us some good advice:
A good family life is a reward for following God. The values outlined in God's Word include love, service, honesty, integrity, and prayer. These help all relationships, and they are especially vital to home life. Is your home life heavenly or hectic? Reading and obeying God's Word is a good place to start to make your family all that it should be.
Our challenge today is to remain as faithful to our family (and God) as geese do.

No comments:

Post a Comment