Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Humility

O. T. #1387  "Humility"
Feb. 13, 2019
Psalm 131
LORD, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me. Psalm 131:1

LET IT GLOW

Step 12: The Lord gives peace to the humble.



You know, when we take our eyes off of people and put them upon the LORD, we become like David, not haughty, which means to soar; be lofty; exalt; higher; lift up; be proud.

And when we do get prideful, He has a way of humbling us. David's heart is not exalted, lifted high with pride. Look up, child of God. So let not our eyes look down on others.

Humility is the truest sign of intimacy with God. I think our pride is a strobe light flashing how ignorant we are about God, despite our lengthy quiet times and in-depth studies. Above all things besides love, humility is the truest sign of intimacy with God. Like little else, a humble spirit says we really do "get it." (Beth Moore)

Don't seek things that will make us prideful is our lesson from David today. I may have mentioned it before, but both our car and truck are over 10 years old. Sure, we have had to spend money on the things on them that wear out over time, but at least we don't have a car payment. Younger folks just don't understand why we don't get one of those $50,000 trucks. My answer is that they still run. We choose to spend our money on kingdom work and mission trips, instead. It has become a status symbol, don't you think? Beside, I know it would puff us up with pride to drive such a beauty.

LET IT GROW


From what has David weaned himself? Makes us wonder when reading verse 2.

William Jay (1769-1853) answers,
Self-sufficiency, self-will, self-seeking. From creatures and things of the world-not, indeed, to their use, but as to any dependence upon them for his happiness and portion.
Do we depend on something to bring us happiness other than the Lord Jesus?
If we are weaned from self, then we will think of others.

LET IT GO


Lord, when I look to You, I am humbled. You humbled Yourself and died on the cross for me.
Use me today for Your glory.
Open my eyes to see the needs of others.
Help me to have a gentle and quiet spirit, which You count of great worth in Your sight. (1 Peter 3:4)

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    I understand; we drove our last vehicle for 9 years, until it wouldn't run anymore. We were able to serve more as we were not saddled with debt from a new vehicle.

    Blessings.
    Gaylene

    ReplyDelete