Thursday, January 25, 2018

Bearing Burdens

O. T. #1140  "Bearing Burdens"
Jan. 25, 2018
Job 16

LET IT GLOW

I don't know about you, but I for one am ready to get this book study over with. Move onto soothing Psalms. Want to know why I say that? It's as though God gives me situations so I better understand what is going on in the Scriptures. So I can relate to what the main character is going through, learn from them. Okay, but can I just skip the suffering part and get to the lessons? Anyone with me? It's as though when I learn a Biblical principle, then I am tested and given a chance to apply it in my life personally. Whew!

Here's the deal. For a few years I have had a back problem. I thought it was due to my scoliosis or my having lowered a heavy table by myself, pulling a muscle. This pain has been going on for 2-3 years now, only off and on. It has been only the last few months that the pain becomes intense, interrupts a goodnight sleep, throbs when I am typing on my computer, picking up a laundry basket of clothes. you get the picture.
Finally, I mentioned it to my doctors, who identified the bulge as a lipoma, a fatty tumor, on my spine. I had an ultrasound, then an MRI. Finally, I was sent to surgeon, who confirmed the diagnosis and scheduled removal on February 16.
Yeah, I will finally get rid of this burden I'm carrying around on my back. (Hubby has been good to give me a neck and should rub when requested, for relief.) But you know, even though my pain is too constant, it does not compare one iota to that which Job had endured. I know I will soon get rid of my burden, but Job did not. The bad part for him was not only suffering physically with boils, he had many losses to deal with, too-children, servants, a way to make a living, wealth, community position.

Now that I got that off my chest, shall we look at chapter 16? This is Job's fifth speech-to Eliphaz, Bibdad, Zophar, God.
Job's responses were that of:
  • disgust; He described his friends as "sorry comforters." Their words were misjudging, incorrect reasoning, and harsh.
  • distress; God was very silent and apparently absent.
  • depressed; Job hit rock bottom, with the grave inviting for relief.
  • despondent; Hope was missing, and no one was there to reassure Job. (Swindoll)
Man, this guy has certain been run through the ringer. Makes my problem seem like a hangnail.
This poor guy needs a dose of grace. God can give him answers if Job will just keep his faith strong in God.

LET IT GROW

What else has happened to Job? He explains:
  • people laugh at Job,
  • show him contempt,
  • God handed him over to the wicked,
  • he's broken him into pieces,
  • his pride lies in the dust,
  • his eyes are red from weeping with dark circles around them,
  • friends scorn him.
Job says he had done no wrong and his prayer is pure. (verse 17)

Here's Job's solution that he sees:
  • His witness is in heaven, his advocate is there on high. (verse 19)
  • He needs someone to mediate between God and him, as a person mediates between friends. (verse 21)
  • For soon I must go down that road from which I will never return. (verse 22)

Job considered God an adversary. He was not alone. Throughout the years, others have felt that way. Jacob wrestled with the Lord all night. (Gen. 32) Peter argued with God over unclean animals to eat in Acts 10:9-16). Jesus, while on the cross, asked God why He had forsaken Him. (Matt. 27:46)
God wins in the end, so we might as well yield to him sooner than later.

Jesus is the believer's advocate at the throne of God. (Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 2:1)
As I pour out these things, I remember, You are faithful God, forever. Let faith arise.

Are we ready and prepared to go down the road, never to return?

LET IT GO

Focus on the King of Glory.
Crown Jesus Lord of my life.
Pour our my tears to God, as Job did.




No comments:

Post a Comment