March 20, 2017
2 Chronicles 7-Part 3
If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways: then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
LET IT GLOW
God gave Solomon some conditions for Israel to meet when they had sinned and in order to return to Him. If they would do certain things, then God would do certain things. Let's find out what the if's and then's are.
MacArthur suggests that years may have passes since the Temple had been dedicated in chapter 6 and God's appearing to Solomon a second time.
McGee says verse 14, "The interpretation of a verse of Scripture will teach us what it means in its setting and context. It may not be written to us at all. We can think of many commands I the Old Testament which are not commands given to us. However, the application of all Scripture is for us. Israel cannot have peace in that land because they have not met those conditions."
In his opinion, this verse is taken out of context and used for profit of people, but was God's word to Solomon.
Well, anyway, we have had this verse quoted to us before revival services. It seems to get us in the right frame of mind and relationship with God so we can pray for others.
In chapter 6, Solomon asked God to make provisions for Israel when they sinned. God answered in four conditions for forgiveness:
- Humble yourself by admitting your sins.
- Pray to God, asking for forgiveness.
- Seek God continually.
- Turn from sinful behavior.
LET IT GROW
Can this verse apply to us Christian today? I think so and so does McGee. He gives us New Testament verses for us (which seems so contradictory).
- The church, body of Christ, believers that are saved, according Titus 2:14.
- Humility-with lowliness meekness, longsuffering, forebear one another in love (Gal. 5:22-23).
- Pray-many times Jesus instructed His disciples to pray
- Seek God's face-set your affection on things above, not n things on the earth (Col. 3:1-2).
- Turn from their wicked ways-repentance (Rev. 3:19).
- God promised He would hear-do things pleasing in His sight (1 John 3:22).
- He promised to forgive-1 John 1:9
- He said that He would heal their land-Israel's people would be healed of their sins.
In verse 15, "this place" is the Temple site in Jerusalem. Today it is not there as a sacred spot. The Mosque of Omar, which was established in 1193 by a conqueror named Omar, some 924 years ago, is an Islamic temple. How sad!
This spot is very dear to Jesus, and one day He will return to earth and establish His kingdom and Temple there.
Even though America is not the Promised Land as Israel, can we not repent and turn from our wicked ways as a nation, back to God and receive blessings?
LET IT GO
Be humble, pray, seek, and turn.