March 24, 2017
2 Chronicles 9
Praise the LORD your God, who delights in you and has placed you on the throne as king to rule for Him. 2 Chronicles 9:8
LET IT GLOW
Have you seen or experienced anything which left you breathless? I stand in awe when I see God's creation, especially the beautiful trees and flowers this spring, deer jumping over fences, a cute little baby calf, and sweet children playing in their innocence.
Today we read of a queen who came to visit Solomon and was breathless at what she saw. Shall we find out what caused her to be breathless?
What a guest! The Queen of Sheba came to visit King Solomon of Israel. What do we know about her? David Guzik summarizes her visit, with added explanations of others:
1. She came with questions to learn. (Solomon's wisdom and fame had spread.)
2. She came from a distance. (The nation of Sheba was about 1,200 miles from Jerusalem in
southwestern Arabia, which is modern Yemen.)
3. She came with gifts to offer. (She gave him 9,000 pounds of gold, great quantities of fine spices,
and precious jewels.)
4. She saw riches of the king. (She saw the elaborate palace, amazing food, organization of his
official and their splendid clothing, the cup-bearers and their robes, and the burnt offerings
Solomon made at the Temple of the Lord.)
5. She stayed for an extended time.
6. She came telling all that was in her heart. (She talked about everything that was on her mind.
Solomon had answers for her questions; nothing was too hard for him to explain to her, for he had
One reaction of the Queen of Sheba is described as breathless. Can you imagine all the splendor Solomon had?
What about people impresses you? Is it their character, their riches, their wisdom?
LET IT GROW
The Queen of Sheba paid Solomon several compliments:
- Everything she heard in her country about his achievements and wisdom was true!
- She didn't believe it until she saw it with her own eyes.
- She had not heard half of his wisdom. It was far beyond what she was told!
- How happy his people must have been.
- What a privilege for his officials to hear Solomon's wisdom.
- Because God loved Israel and desire His kingdom to last forever, He made Solomon king over them so He could rule with Justice and righteousness.
we seek King Jesus'.
Do we bring our hard questions to Christ; He is wiser than Solomon. (Meyer)
Jesus mentioned the Queen of Sheba in Matthew 12:42, where He tells the Scribes and Pharisees, "...behold, a greater than Solomon is here."
Jesus was speaking of Himself, the Messiah, the Savior. Yet those religious men did not believe Him.
God wanted to reach the nations through the obedience and blessings of Israel, but they disobeyed God, and He spoke through their discipline.
As we read of the splendor of Solomon and his great achievements do we realize that they were gifts given by Almighty God? Do we marvel at His wonderful deeds?
LET IT GO
Tell the Lord how beautiful His creation is, naming them one by one.
Thank Jesus for His blessings upon my family.
Praise Him for eyes to see and ears to hear His marvelous creation.