Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Persistence

O. L. #808  "Persistence"
August 9, 2016
1 Kings 21
I'll get you Naboth's vineyard.  1 Kings 21:7c

LET IT GLOW

I have been having a night visitor on my front porch for a while now. It eats up the leftover cat food and digs in my flowers there. So in an attempt to discourage it, I remove the cat food nightly and placed some good sized rocks among the flowers. However, my scheme has not been successful. What a persistent dude!  It does not realize that it is not welcome here. And stop destroying my flowers! What kind of wild animal is so persistent? I had my ideas of the possibilities, but they were incorrect. Care to take a guess?

So, one night, at midnight to be exact, I was up late waiting on my antivirus to run its protection and heard a noise on the porch. The intruder was scooting the empty cat bowl. Awe ha! The mystery was about to be solved. I ran to get a flashlight and spotlighted it. A huge raccoon was the critter.  But what good does it to "know" what is stealing my cat food? I can't shoot a gun. So the saga continues. I wonder who I can get to eliminate my problem.
Today's focus is on a man named Naboth who is bothered by the king that is persist, not taking "no" for an answer, in an attempt to get his vineyard. Like my raccoon, he keeps coming back. Let's see what happens.

King Ahab is not satisfied with ruling over 83% of the Promised Land (10 out of 12 tribal inheritances) His empty idolatry is not satisfying. Thus, this king of Israel is constantly lusting after things, as the heart of the wicked does.
What does Ahab covet? His neighbor's vineyard that he wants to make into a vegetable garden. Really? Why not just buy Naboth's grapes? Or use another plot for your garden and leave the poor hard-working man alone.
The problem is, Naboth does not want to trade nor sell this plot of land. Besides, the man feels like he would be violating, disobeying the Word of God (Lev. 25:23 and Num. 36:7).  The Israelites' land was to not be sold, ever.

What do we do when evil keeps persistently challenging us? Do we give in or stand firm? Are we going to let the devil rob us of our joy today?

LET IT GROW

Ahab, a mighty warrior pouts at home, before his wicked wife Jezebel, because a farmer refused his offer. Who can feel sorry for the man?
Leave to me, honey, I'll take care of it. You deserve having everything you want, after all, you are king.
Wiersbe's Expository Outlines on the Old Testament explains: 
Queen Jezebel schemes again:
  • She brings in false witnesses against Naboth;
  • she forges letters in her husband's name;
  • she hides the entire undertaking under the disguise of a religious fast.
The innocent man Naboth was stoned to death just to satisfy the lust of King Ahab and his Baal-worshiping wife. Jezebel resolved Ahab's unhappiness with a scheme that involved perverting the law, perjury, and murder.
In 2 Kings 9, we find out that Naboth's male heirs are also killed so there were no surviving heirs to the land belonging to his family. And those kind of people are running the nation of Israel?
Anyone twisting the law to get what they want is guilty of sin.
We need to aware here in our nation of what kind of leaders we have or are potential? Are they law twisters?

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked; who can know it?
 (Jeremiah 17:9)

Do we go to extremes to get our way? Hopefully not, but do we know women like this Jezebel?

LET IT GO


Leave revenge to God.

Stay faithful to His Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment