Friday, August 12, 2016

A Crack in My Armor

O.T. #811  "A Crack in My Armor"
August 12, 2016
1 Kings 22-Part 2
An Aramean soldier, however, randomly shot an arrow at the Israelite troops and hit the king of Israel between the joints of his armor. 1 Kings 22:34

LET IT GLOW

Everyone has one-Goliath, David, Saul, Ahab did. We do also, if we will only admit it. I'm talking about a crack in our armor-a weakness in our life, which causes us to stumble into sin or the pit, over and over again.
Yep, discouragement puts me down in the pit every time. Someone's arrow of hurtful words hit me smackdab dead center in the heart and I bleed, with self-worth and confidence drained and running down to the ground. What's ironic is its source always surprises me,  but it should not. After all these years, I should be prepared for it, right? That mean arrow of action, the stone-cold word slung at me that I don't dodge, wound me and brings me to my knees. The devil uses his same ole tricks, just different faces. You know, I really need to wise up. Where's my shield of faith that I can hold up for counter action? Why don't I use my sword of the spirit, God's Word to ward them off? Hmm. It is time.

In spite of being forewarned of his death by the prophet Micaiah, King Ahab went into battle (along with Judah) to conquer Ramth-gilead, which used to be their possession. Ahab's planned to avoid death by disguising himself while Jehoshaphat wore his royal robes with God's protection.

The enemy, king of Aram, issued his orders to attack only the king of Israel and to not bother with anyone else. (verse 31) So the Armean chased after Jehoshaphat, thinking he was Ahab as a conspicuous target. If he had not cried out, the king of Judah would have been killed in Ahab's stead.
Then it happened-an archer took a random shot, not knowing he was aiming at Ahab, and hit the king in a crack in his armor. David Guzik describes the arrow as a sin-seeking missile.

Being seriously wounded, Ahab retreated to his chariot, propped up to encourage his troops, but the place where he slowly bled to death, with his blood running down on the floor of his chariot. There it is, folks, Ahab had been told twice of his upcoming death, but did not heed the warnings and went into battle anyway.

Where's the crack in our armor? Do we recognize it? The devil  knows just where to attack us with temptation, discouragement, or accusations-in our crack of armor. Are we protecting that weakness by putting on the full armor of God-salvation, righteousness, truth, peace, faith, and the Word of God?

LET IT GROW

The troops ran for their lives once their king was dead. Although King Ahab was buried in his capital, and as predicted, dogs licked up his blood (21:19). His blood was washed off of his chariot and armor at the pool where the harlots bathed. Such a thing was further indignity for the king. Why was it mentioned?

MacArthur says that Ahab, the spiritual harlot was associated with the physical harlots at his death.
The prophecies of Elijah (21:19) and Micaiah (verse 17) were fulfill at Ahab's death. In this, we find that our God keeps His Word. What He says will come to pass.

May I add a question- What good is Ahab's ivory house doing him now?

Ahaziah, Ahab's son, ruled Israel for two years. He did evil in the LORD's sight, following the example of his father and mother, and Jeroboam. He served and worshiped Baal, which provoked the anger of the LORD, the God of Israel, just as his father did.

Sometimes people try to escape reality by disguising themselves-changing jobs, moving to a new town, even changing spouses. But God sees and evaluates the motives of each person. Any attempted disguise is futile. (Life Application Study Bible)

We haven't heard the last of wicked Jezebel. The next book tell of her deeds.


LET IT GO

Identify my crack in my Christian armor, then take steps to mend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment