August 8, 2016
2 Kings 1
Is there no God in Israel? 2 Kings 1:3b
LET IT GLOW
As said earlier, 1 Kings and 2 Kings are historical books, which tell us about the kings of Israel and Judah and their reigns.
Because 1 and 2 Kings were originally one book, 2 Kings continues where 1 Kings ends. The once great nation of Israel was split in two because the people forgot God. In 1 Kings, the beautiful Temple of God was built. In 2 Kings, it is desecrated and destroyed.
The 17 prophetic books at the end of the Old Testament give great insights into the time period of 2 Kings. (Life Application Study Bible)
Ahaziah, son of Ahab, is king of Israel, the northern kingdom, now. We see what king of king he was since the rebellion of Moab and injuries from his fall did not turn Ahazah in repentance to God. Shall we take a look at his story?
- Ahaziah was sick when he fell through the lattice work surrounding his balcony, a second floor terrace.
- His rooftop room was enclosed with crossbars of interwoven reed or wood strips, which shut out direct sunlight while letting in cool breezes. It was not sturdy enough to keep Ahaziah from falling to the ground below. (MacArthur)
- The king sent messengers to inquire of Baal-zebub, which means lord of the flies, suggesting he was the storm god who controlled diseases brought by flies, if he would recover from his disease.
Let me add this information from MacArthur-The NT preserved the name in the form Beelzebul, a name for Satan, the prince of the demons (Matt. 10:25;12:24; Mark 3:22; Luke 11:15). (MacArthur)
The king had already fallen away into sin before he fell into his death sentence.
We need to be careful, dear ones, and not fall for everything that comes our way. Question the source before getting involved.
LET IT GROW
The preincarnate Christ was the angel of the LORD who appeared to Prophet Elijah, giving him instructions:
- Go and confront the messengers of Ahaziah.
- Ask them, "Is there no God in Israel? Why are you going to Baalzebub to ask whether the king will recover?"
- Elijah told the king's messengers to give the king this message, asking those same questions of him.
- They were to add: Therefore, because you have done this, you will never leave this bed you are lying on; you will surely die.
Many people follow the false gods of technology, materialism, and war. Although, if your heart is committed to God, He can work through you to accomplish the work He has called you to do. (Life Application Study Bible)
How do you think this king and worshiper of idols reacted? We will find out next time.
LET IT GO
Be sure that I do not allow materialism, gadgets and technology to become a false god in my life.
Don't fall for anything that comes along.
Ask God for eyes of wisdom to distinguish.
Love Jesus above all.