O. T. #712 "Crushed and Broken"
March 10, 2016
2 Samuel 12-Part 5, Psalm 51
LET IT GLOW
After David confessed that he had sinned against the LORD, Nathan assured him that the LORD forgives. Nevertheless, because David showed contempt to the LORD, his child would die.
Nathan had a very difficult task of confrontation. What can we learn about his technique of effectiveness?
Charles Swindoll, in his book David, advises us how to equip ourselves before we confront someone: We need to confront in absolute truth, right timing, wise wording, and fearless courage.
Now, take a look at Psalm 51 with me. It is said of this psalm that David wrote it after Nathan confronted him about his sin of adultery with Bathsheba.
What can we learn from David's experience?
- David asks for mercy from God, who has unfailing love and great compassion. (verse 1)
- He desires to be washed clean and purified from his guilt and sin. (verse 2)
- David recognizes his rebellion. (verse 3)
- He admits that it was against only God that he sinned and did evil in his sight. (verse 4)
- David admits that God's words are true and His judgment is just. (verse 4)
- In his brokenness, David asks God: Wash me and I will be whiter than snow. (verse 7)
- Create in me a clean heart, O God. (verse 10)
- Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation; and uphold me with Thy free Spirit. (verse 12)
- The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise. (verse 17)
Is our spirit crushed and broken, as well as in need of healing?
Do any of us need restoration of the joy of Jesus' salvation?
LET IT GROW
How can we know repentance is genuine?
- There will be open, unguarded admission, without holding back the truth.
- There is a desire to make a complete break from sin. Repentance is a complete turning around.
- The spirit is broken and humble, with grief over what was done.
- True repentance is a claiming of God's forgiveness and reinstatement. God's grace was available and David was allowed to live on. (Swindoll)
He restores; He gives light to darkness. Its His breath in our lungs, so we pour out our praise to You, holy God. Great are You Lord!
LET IT GO
Confess and repent and turn from the sin.
Trust Jesus' cleansing and forgiveness.
Never give up.
God loves us.
Praise God for His forgiveness and cleansing.