October 16, 2015
1 Samuel 17-Part 6
David said to the Philistine, "You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you..." 1 Samuel 17:45 NIV
LET IT GLOW
We heard David turn down King Saul's heavy armor to wear when he went to fight Giant Goliath. What was he thinking? No body protection at all? What was this young man up to? What was his strategy? He was not a warrior; his brothers were and his king was. Uhhhh, David...
In verse 45, we read of Goliath's armor: a sword, a spear (javelin), and a shield. He was prepared and ready for battle.
Look at verse 40 to find out what David eventually took into battle:
- a staff, which refers to a stick for walking, in Hebrew; his shepherd's staff;
- five smooth stones from the brook; if rough stones, they would not easily pass through the air, nor readily dispatch from the sling (David Guzik);
- a shepherd's bag, which held essentials for the shepherd out in a field;
- a scrip, which is a traveling pouch.
- and his sling in his hand. The sling was a piece of leather where the stone was placed, with a string on each side; the sling was whirled around his head 2 or 3 times. This required practice in order to be accurate at hitting a target. (Guzik)
David had the faith not just to talk, not just to renounce, not just to prepare, but also to draw near the Philistine. That's real faith. (David Guzik)
Why five stones?
Perhaps the 5 smooth stones were picked up since Goliath had 4 brothers (21:18-22) and 1 to kill Goliath. Maybe it was just in case 1 stone didn't get the job done. It was possible that his estimation of distance was off and he needed more chances to get it to reach the giant. Guess we will have to ask David for the answer when we get to heaven.
Can see the young shepherd teenager ready for battle with only his equipment that he used in protecting the sheep back home?
Are we preparing to meet our giant when our faith is challenged? Do we have Bible verses memorized for when the need arises? Can we sling them at the giant that is attacking us?
Jesus resisted the Devil's temptations in the desert with the Word of God.
LET IT GROW
Meanwhile, the Philistine giant, with his shield bearer in front of him, kept coming closer to David. (Was he smiling or laughing at such a sight?
How did Goliath see David and react to him?
- Goliath saw David as only a boy, ruddy and handsome. (verse 42)
- Goliath despised David; scorned him.
- He asked David, "Am I a dog that you come at me with sticks?"
- Goliath cursed David by his gods.
No worry. God will come through for you David. Keep trusting Him. Don't give up and run away now. The whole nation of Israel is counting on you. (Wait a minute. I know how this turns out.o sweat. Do you know the ending?)
When the devil hurls accusations and lies at us, how do we react?
LET IT GO
Get my 5 smooth stones (5 Bible verses) ready to use in my spiritual battle.
Be ready to go for God when commissions me in His army.
Pray, study God's Word, surrender to the Holy Spirit's leading.
Daily get the armor of God on (Eph. 6).
Be filled with the fruit of the Spirit. (Gal.5)