Revelation 22-Part 30
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. Revelation 22:14
LET IT GLOW
As a child, I learned to climb trees. Why, I can't say. Maybe it was because I was short and being
up in a tree allowed me to be able to look down upon things. We had a tall pine tree in our front yard that was a challenge to climb, due to the branches being far apart, but I could shimmy up it, slowly, Then I would enter my pretended domain. Now the old tree stands dead, with the top blown out from a strong wind seven years ago. I am sad to see it shed its bark and gradually loose its branches. The other day, an eagle sat on one branch, looking down at me. I know that one day it will have to come down. Until then, I will remember those times and continue to pick up broken branches and shed bark. There will be another tree that I will become fond of in the future, the tree of life.
The tree of life is a symbol of both eternal life and continual blessing (Gen. 2:9). The tree bears twelve fruits, one for each month, and is symbolic of the abundant variety in heaven. The leaves somehow enrich heavenly life, making it full and satisfying. (MacArthur)
Here are five declarations by Jesus which summarize the message of Revelation. They are:
- Behold, I am coming quickly. (verses 7 and 12) The word quickly means shortly, suddenly, without delay, soon, readily, according to Strong's Concordance. Less we think 2,000 years is not very quick, it has more to do with the suddenness of the event rather than how soon.
- My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. (verse 12) When Jesus returns, He will bring judgment to those who reject His free salvation by grace through faith. The time for repentance will expire and their eternal destiny will be sealed.
- I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. (verse 13) In the Greek alphabet, alpha is what the first letter is called, and omega is what the last letter is called. The letters of an alphabet convey knowledge when combined to form words. Christ is the supreme, sovereign alphabet. He is the source of all that is true, from beginning to end.
- Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. (verses 14-15) Saved, forgiven, believers in Jesus Christ will be the only ones allowed to enter the gates of the New Jerusalem. Their sins have been washed away by the blood of the Lamb of God.
- I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root of the descendant of David, the bright morning star. (verse 16) Jesus ties his reputation as Son of David and Son of God to the prophecies of this book. The words of this book are faithful and true because they were given by the One who is altogether faithful and true. (Swindoll)
What will be my last words?
LET IT GROW
I don't want to be like one of these morally impure mentioned in verse 15:
- dogs-a man of an impure mind
- sorcerers-Pertaining to magical arts (Thayer's Concordance); an enchanter with drugs (Strong's Concordance)
Those mentioned are excluded from within the gates and walls of the New Jerusalem.
LET IT GO
Look to Jesus, the first and last.
Keep looking for Jesus' return.
Be sure my robe, heart, is washed in the blood of the Lamb, Jesus.