Revelation 21-Part 26
And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God. Revelation 21:10 KJV
LET IT GLOW
Have you ever been on an open-house tour? I haven't, but would like to go on one. Either a house is empty and for sale, or the owners want to show off their decorating at Christmastime. Would you like to join me on an open-house tour of the Celestial City of Jerusalem? Let's step on the bus of faith and listen to John as the tour guide. It will be our ultimate, eternal residence, so I am getting excited to have a sneak preview.
The new Jerusalem already exists, since John saw it coming down out of heaven in verse 2. This is the city Abraham looked for, the city whose builder and maker is God (Heb. 11:10). This is the city that exists even now in heaven, for Paul calls it the Jerusalem that is above (Gal. 4:26). (MacArthur)
Charles R. Swindoll gives us a closer look in his book Swindoll's New Testament Insights on Revelation concerning the Celestial City:
- The origin-It is a new Jerusalem, a real place created by God as the dwelling of all the redeemed of all ages. It's the place Jesus had in mind when He went to prepare a place for us (John 14:2-3).
- The appearance-John used two words to convey its stunning appearance: glory and brilliance, which mean the same thing: the brilliant glory of God, compared to a jasper, unblemished, perfectly clear diamond.
- The exterior-a great high wall with 12 gates and 12 foundations; on the gates were the names of the 12 tribes of Israel and on the foundations were the 12 apostles' names, representing the Old and New Testament believers.
- The dimensions-1,500 miles along each wall, as a cube. This massive city could never fit on the present earth, but will fit on the new earth.
- The materials-The foundation is every kind of jewel (19-20). The city itself is crystal clear and the massive wall surrounding it is transparent glass (21:11,18). The gate leading into the city will be created from one giant pearl (21:21).
- The distinctive characteristic-No temple is in it, for the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple (21:22).There will be no need for a special building set aside for worship.
- The brilliance-No seasons and no light source other than God will illumine heaven and earth with His own glory; no more night and darkness (22:3-5).
- The blessing-access to the tree of life, planted in rows on either side of the river of life flowing from the throne of God and Christ (22:1-2); no more sin and curse will result in disharmony, disease, and death.
Are you ready to go to the New City? The only way we can enter in is by believing in Jesus Christ as Savior and Messiah, and asking Him to forgive us of our sins.
LET IT GROW
Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb's book of life. NIV (verse 27)
ESL uses the words detestable or false; KJV uses defiled, abomination or lie; NLT uses idolatry and dishonesty.
The gates to this new city will not be shut, but will be open continuously (verse 25). Since sin will not be present, there will be no need for protection at night, there will be no night. To me, that means there is no fear present, either. What will there be to fear? God is ever-present and in charge.
My mind wonders what we will be doing there. The Bible doesn't give details, however, we will be worshiping and praising God and Jesus.
Glory to His name!
LET IT GO
Watch my words and ways today.
Focus on that city.
Help others step on the bus of faith.