March 13, 2013
Introduction to the Genesis-Part 1
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16
LET IT GLOW
Welcome Friends, faithful and new!!!!!!!!!
A New Beginning.
Don't you just love a new day? a new project? a new item for your house? new clothes? a new road? new things? Yes, I like new things.
I especially like starting a new Bible study with a group or by myself. It is exciting for me to read or hear something different. That is how I feel today. Excited about the new road we are going to travel on as we study the Old Testament together. Though I have read it through and with a study group, this time will be different for me. I will be the one digging for gold nuggets from the Word of God to share with you. I will be the one listening for a fresh word from our Lord that He has for me to apply in my own life.
Are you up to this long journey with me? Let me warn you, it took 3 years to travel through 27 books of the New Testament. I don't know how long it will take traveling through 39 books. Of course, I realize time is an important commodity that we all cherish, so I will try to hold it down to a minimum.
I welcome your comments or insights. So run into the kitchen and get something hot to drink, find your Bible, and we will get started.
Originally, I started writing this post as a way to preserve my childhood experiences with my children and grandchildren, applying them to the Word. Then it became more than that. God was speaking to me as I studied the Scriptures and working in my life in a special way. So I am truly blessed as I travel this journey of life. Please join me throughout the week.
Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19
LET IT GROW
Here's an explanation of the format I will be using:
LET IT GLOW
Name something you read today that's a promise, an encouragement, or an example of how God worked in this passage.
LET IT GROW
Describe a principle, a lesson to be learned, or a challenge from these Scriptures.
LET IT GO
Tell how to apply, share, or go do the Word read. What do we need to let go of so this can be accomplished?
First of all, I did some reading in commentaries for this background. It got me to thinking, maybe you are like me, had not really given much thought to the backgound of the Bible. I just believe it is true and the Word of God. But not all people nowadays have grown up going to Sunday School like me. Maybe it will help you to share with others about the validity of the Bible.
The Preacher's Outline & Sermon Bible is a commentary that has this to say about the Bible:
- The word Bible comes from the Greek word biblos, meaning a book. The Bible is also called The Holy Scriptures, The Scriptures, The Word of God.
- The Bible is not a book, not in the technical sense. It is a collection of books, a great library of 66 books. It was written by about 40 different authors. It is divided into two parts-The Old Testament, which was written before Jesus Christ came to earth, and The New Testament, which was written after Jesus Christ came to earth.
- The Old Testament contains 39 books. They are combined to form the 5 books of the Law, 12 books of History, 5 Poetic books, and 17 Prophetic books. The New Testament has 27 books of the four gospels, one history book, 14 Pauline Epistles, 7 general Epistles by several authors, and 1 Prophecy book.
- The original manuscripts of the Bible were written in three different languages: Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.
- The Old Testament was translated into Greek some time between n 250-150 B.C. It is called the Septuagint, symbolized by the letters LXX.
- The Bible is the Word of God, but God did not pen and write His Word down for man. God inspired, "breathed His Word", into the hearts of holy men and they proclaimed and wrote God's Word down for us all. As 2 Peter 1:21 says, For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Timothy 3:16 says, All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
- Hundreds of archaeological discoveries have been made that verify various facts and events mentioned in the Bible.
- How God intervenes time and again and saves man is the story of the Bible. God's supreme intervention and salvation in human affairs is seen in the promised seed-the Savior and Messiah of the world-Jesus Christ.
LET IT GO
By faith believe the Bible is true and the living Word of God.
Listen as God speaks to me through His Word and obey.
Share with others God's Words of hope and love.