Friday, August 17, 2012

Meeting on the Porch

587.  "Meeting on the Porch"                    August 17, 2012
2 Peter 1-Part 5
 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Do these things, and you will never fall away. Then God will give you a grand entrance into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. NLT 2 Peter 1:10-11

LET IT GLOW

One time a former president of the United States came to speak at the college I was attending. After we all got seated in the gym, his entrance was announced. Everyone stood and clapped, giving him the respect and honor due to one that had held such a high office in our nation.

I recall the last time Dad welcomed me home for a visit. It was a grand one. He rarely come out on the front porch to welcome anyone. That day he did. I got a big hug from him, too. I expect he will be waiting at the Pearly Gates to welcome me into heaven. (He better!) It's been almost 26 years since that day and I remember it like it was yesterday. (Excuse me while I wipe my tears.) I had such a wonderful visit that time. (I forgot to mention that Mom was beside him, too, on the porch.)

I wonder what it will be like when I enter heaven. I don't want a grand enterance, for I will just be happy to be there. Seeing all my loved ones and my Savior is enough.
NIV calls it a rich welcome. I'm sure I will receive some kind of welcome.
Every believer will arrive in heaven, but some will have a more glorious welcome than other. Some believers "shall be saved, ye so as by fire" (1Cor. 3:15). (Wiersbe)

An abundant enterance into eternal heaven is the hhope and reality for a Christian who lives a faithful, fruitful life here on earth. A Chrisstian who pursues the listed virtues (verses 5-7) will not only enjoy assurance in the present, but a full, rich reward in the future life (1Cor. 4:5).  (MacArthur)

Whenever He's ready for me, I'm ready. How about you friends?

LET IT GROW

According to Warren Wiersbe, in his book Be Alert, Peter gave three evidences of true spiritual growth in verses 8-11.
1. Fruitfulness
2. Vision
3. Security

If I were to walk around with my eyes closed, I would stumble. However, as a growing Christian, I can walk with confidence because I know I am secure in Christ. The evidence isn't  my profession in faith, but my progression in faith.My character and conduct should be enough evidence that I am a child of God. Is it?

How can I be sure that God called me, and that I am one of His elect?
By my character qualities mention previously-faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, godliness, brotherly kindness, love.
god has provided everything needed on our road to heaven-salvation in Jesus, needs met to live for Him in this life, to accomplish His purpose.

Calling is used of one whom God declares worthy of the calling  which He has commanded to be given him, and therefore, fit to obtain the blessings promised in the call.
Election is the act of picking out, choosing; the act of God's free will by which before the foundation of the world He decreed His blessings to certain persons (through Christ, due to grace). Thayer's Lexicon

If a person is born again, they will show it in the way they live. (Guzik)

Am I willing for God to work in and through me, cooperating with Him? Divine election must not be an excuse for human laziness.

The Christian life begins with faith, leads to growth, which leads to practical results in life and service.
(Wiersbe)
Does my life and service convict me of being a Christian?

Today's character quality to work on is patience. Maybe I'll stay home today. Nope, got plans to go to the fair with women in my Bible study class. Since I am driving, I better get prayed up for patience.

LET IT GO

Daily thank God for calling me to salvation in Jesus and choosing me to be His child.

Expect a fantastic welcome into heaven one day.








No comments:

Post a Comment