Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Adding to the List

584.  "Adding to the List"     August 14, 2012
2 Peter 1-Part 2
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.  2 Peter 1:5-7


LET IT GLOW
Have you found any exceedingly great and precious promises of God this past week? Why not share them with us?
In verse 4, Peter tells us that we are given these. I sure want some, don't you?

Not just great, but exceedingly great promises are given to us. Not just promises, but precious promises are given to us. Did you catch that?
Great refers to large and imposing; precious refers to valuable.
God gives exceedingly large and precious promises. Now that's what I'm talking about. Yes, indeed, I want those.
Through these promises, we are partakers of the divine nature, within us, since we are adopted sons and daughters of God (Gal. 4:5-7).
As a believer, my nourishment comes from the Word of God instead of the garbage of the world. However, spiritual growth is not automatic. This old flesh does not want to die just because Jesus is living inside me. There are many times that my old self peeks around the corner and jumps in the middle of things. Oh, but there is good news, friends, Jesus in the Way, the Truth, and the Life. (John 14:6)
Am I giving diligence to my walk with the Lord? (verse 5)
Am I adding (to supply generously) to my faith?
It isn't enough for the Christian to "let go and let God," as though spiritual growth were God's work alone. (Wiersbe)
Add to (epichorego in Greek) originally meant to finance, support, or back a chorus; provide. Here Peter callls uponn believers to put everything they have into supporting their faith with virtue, etc. (Falwell)

Add means to get into the habit of doing things, and in the initial stages it is difficult. Take the initiative, stop hesitating, and take the first step. Be resolute when God speaks, act in faith immediately on what He says, and never revise your decisions. (Oswald Chambers)
Shall we see what else we are to be adding to faith?

LET IT GROW

Most of the time I have a list made out before I go to the grocery store. Sometimes I even add other errands to it. With my memory deminishing as it is because of age, I often lay the list on the seat next to me so I remember to go here and there. I will admit  there have been times that I held it in my hand while driving just so I'd remember not to forget where I am going. Anyone else done that? Well, there are times that I don't get everything on my list, for some reason or other, so when I get home, I start a new list.
Peter has given us a list of characteristics of a godly life, seven to be exact. Shall we see what these are? Think I could work on one a day this week, since there are 7. (We'll discuss 3 today and 4 tomorrow, to save time.) Keep in mind that this list is what we add to faith.

What is faith?
Faith, by my definition of Hebrews 11:1, is hope unseen.
Faith is assurance, substance, evidence, or conviction. Faith is required for future hopes and present spiritual blessings. It has been given to believers or rather they have been chosen to it. Each item is to be supported or supplemented with another.  (Falwell)
 (Like a toddler stacks blocks, one on top of another, so are these to be added onto our faith.)

  1. Virtue means moral goodness; a virtuous course of thought, feeling, and action. (Thayer's Lexicon)It is the moral energy, the power that performs deeds of excellence. (MacArthur) A Christian shows "excellence" because he is fulfilling his purpose in life. (Wiersbe)
  2. Knowledge, used here, means moral wisdom, such as is seen in right living. (Thayer's Lexicon)It suggests practical knowledge or discernment; the ability to handle life successfully. It is the opposite of being "so heavenly minded as to be of no earthly good!"This knowldege is not automatica, but it come from obedience to the will of God (John 7:17) (Wiersbe)
  3. Temperance is the virtue of one who masters his desires and passions, especially his sensual appetites. (Thayer's Lexicon) It means self-control. It literally means "holding oneself in."A Christian is to control the flesh, the passions, and bodily desires, rather than allowing himself to be controlled by them. It is a servant, not the master of one's life. (MacArthur)
[Resources: The MacArthur Bible Commentary, Liberty Bible Commentary, Be Alert by Warren Wiersbe, My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers]

Am I growing stronger in faith in Christ? I don't know about you, dear friend, but I know what I am working on today-moral excellence in my thoughts and feelings. I want to stay pure in what I think on throughout today. Singing praises to my Jesus, quoting Scripture. Any more suggestions?
Philippians 4:8 says to think on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, and praise worthy. I have my assignment today.

LET IT GO

Walk by faith, keeping it strong and firm in Jesus my Savior, trusting Him with everything.

Have virtuous thoughts, feelings, and actions today.

Shut out the world's influence and listen to the Holy Spirit.

Practice what I teach.

Give Jesus control of my desires, appetities, and passions. Say no to the wrong food, drink, and things.






No comments:

Post a Comment