Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Fork

576.  "A Fork"                 August 2, 2012
1 Peter -Part 6
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 
 1 Peter 4:11

LET IT GLOW

I have a picture taken of me on my sixth birthday. One of the gifts I received was a Hop Along Cassidy one serving silverware set. I wanted to eat with it at every meal. I don't recall why I was given it, other than it must have been on my want list. I wish I had it now, but something happened to it throughout the years. The handles had the character on a horse, that I recall. There was a fork in the set. I was reminded of this special gift when I read today's verse. We have been talking about all the ways we can bring glory to God in our living, ministering our gifts.

Jesus stood at a fork in the road. He had to decide if He would life for comfort a self-centered life or id He would fulfill His purpose and glorify God with it. I face the same fork every day.

Rick Warren, in his book, The Purpose Driven Life, said:
There are many ways to bring glory to God, but they can be summarized in God's five purposes for your life.
  1. We bring God glory by worshiping Him. He wants our worship to be motivated by love, thanksgiving, and delight, not duty. See Rom. 6:13.
  2. We bring God glory by loving other believers. We belong to the family of God when we become a believer, so we are to love others. See Rom. 15:7, 1 John 3:14, and John 13:34-35.
  3. We bring God glory by becoming like Christ. Spiritual maturity is becoming like Jesus in the way we think, feel, and act. For the rest of our life, God wants to continue the process of changing your character. See 2 Cor. 3:18, Phil. 1:11.
  4. We bring God glory by serving others with our gifts. Each of us was uniquely designed by God with talents, gifts, skills, and abilities. (Spiritual gifts are given by the Holy Spirit to use in the church to help others.) See 2 Cor. 8:19.
  5. We bring God glory by telling others about Him. God doesn't want His love and purposes kept a secret. It is a great privilege to introduce others to Jesus and help them prepare for their eternal destiny. See 2 Cor. 4:15.
Living the rest of your life for the glory of God will require a change in your priorities, your schedule, your relationships, and everything else. It will sometimes mean choosing a difficult path instead of an easy one.
Which path did Jesus choose? He chose to follow the path God had planned for Him-the cross.

Am I living for my own goals, comfort, and pleasure, or for the glory of God?

LET IT GROW

Our key verse, found in New Living Translation says, Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Some of the spiritual gifts listed in 1 Corinthianss 12 and Romans 12 include being used by way of speaking-prophecy, tongues, interpretation of tongues, words of wisdom, teaching, and exhortion.
Some of these gifts are no longer needed becuse we have the completed Word of God.

When I hit the half century mark, I began slowing down. (Probably it was the 40th.) I have limited my committments because my energy is limited. A nap is certainly scheduled into my day. Some days I get one and some days I don't. In all I do, I want to honor the Lord. I am realizing that He is walking beside me wherever this country road takes me. I am enjoying talking and listening to Him as we go along the way.

Above all else, my purpose in writing this blog is to bring glory to God. This is my prayer.

LET IT GO

Limit my services so I can do my best serving.

Pray for God's leading.

Above all, glorify God.







  1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment