Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Guests in the Home

575.  "Guests in the Home"                     August 1, 2012
1 Peter 4-Part 5
Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.
1 Peter 4:9-10 NLT


LET IT GLOW

When I became a saved believer in Jesus, I received at least one spiritual gift.
A spiritual gift is a graciously given supernaturally designed ability granted to every believer by which the Holy spirit ministers to the body of Christ. The Greek word (Charisma) emphasizes the freeness of the gift. A spiritual gift cannot be earned, pursued, or worked up. It is merely "received"through the grace of God. (MacArthur)

A list of spiritual gifts is found in Romans 12:3-8 and 1 Corinthians 12:4-10. Each believer has at least one spiritual gift, maybe more. They are used to benefit others in the church and to honor the Lord Jesus. I don't own my gift since God has given it to me. A steward is responsible for another's resources.

How am I using the spiritual gift(s) God has given me? Are they being used? Is it for God's glory and the benefit of the church? Or have I laid it aside? Do I know what they are?

LET IT GROW

Verse 9 in King James Version says, Use hospitality one to another without grudging.

Hospitality refers to being generous to guests; grudging means with a cheerful and willing mind.
(Thayer's Lexicon)

I recall the early years of my husband's ministry. When we would have  revival services held in our church, we often hosted the evangelist. Many times my daughter or son gave up their bed/room for the guest preacher. It wasn't that any of us minded, but no one else offered to keep him. There were several homes which had extra, unoccupied bedrooms. It was a matter of attitude. There was extra work involved-cleaning before and after, providing meals, extra laundry for towels. But we received the blessing of felowshipping with the guest and they missed out. The blessings outweighed the work. Though I was always working, we would schedule the revival during my spring break so it was easier on us.

In the early church, apostles and preachers were constantly travelling from one town to another spreading the gospel. They needed someone to minister to them in return by providing the physical necessities of life. The gospel came as a free gift, so should the support of the gospel preachers. Both are done to glorify God in the name of Jesus Christ. (Falwell) 

Human hospitality is a reflection of God's hospitality to us. (Wiersbe)
Abraham was hospitable to three strangers, one of which was the Lord. (Genesis 18)
When we share with others, we are sharing with Christ (Matt. 25:35, 43).

Am I sharing as often as I should be? Whenever I do, is it done cheerfully and willingly?

LET IT GO

Open my home more to others.

Don't worry about the "stuff," but do it for fellowship and out of love.

Use my spiritual gifts to serve others in church.

Willingly and cheerfully serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment